hf1

does anyone use rear facing carseat group 1 ?

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: does anyone use rear facing carseat group 1 ?

Postby ems » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:45 am

I have a Brio rear facing car seat for my god daughter, I wouldnt ever ever use a forward facing seat. I bought it abroad in Germany. The trend in the UK has been geared towards forward facing carseats, as the Brits apparently would rather like to see the face of their child. But as many of you know, the law abroad is that the child is rear facing for much longer than here in the UK. Not wanting to scare anyone, but I'm paraplegic, when I was in hospital there was a child brought in from a car accident with a break in her neck at C3-4-5 basically, she wont feed herself, walk, or be able to cough properly again. All becuase the car she was in had a front colllision, her head was flung forward with nothing to brace onto, at which point the break would have happened, and was then flung back into the seat. She died after a month in ITU. Spinal shock is very serious, the pressure that swells in the spinal cord has no where to go but upwards generally. Three verts up from C3 is the brain stem.
Its these types of collisions that break necks and backs. Those that put a child in the middle with just a lap belt risk breaksing their back in a font or rear collisions, or even just stopping too quickly. The body is thrown forward from the hips, the injury most get from that is T12-T10 as its the weakest spot where the lumber verts meet the thoracic verts, which if your then paralysed, its just below your wiast line downwards. I was brought up in Germany, and so have grown up with rear facing seats being the norm, and for all the reasons above and the fact I just believe they are so much safer. I have never put a child in a forward facing carseat, and I would refuse to take any child in my car if I didnt have it. I just would never take the risk. Maybe becuase I peronally know the risks, and what they mean to me and my life.

If in this country rear facing was made legal, out of the 100+ children that break their necks and backs every yr in this country becuase of the forward facing design, many of those would be walking the rest of their lives. Those that actually die as a result of spinal shock due to unstable fractures in the spine which lead to damage of the spinal cord which results in paraplegia and quadraplegia, may have lesser an injury in the first place, and only have a mild injury, or probably none at all.

They are hard to find in this country, as the makers dont sell them becuase the demand is low due to the * I need to be able to see my baby*.

When you look into the facts and figures about forward facing carseats, compared to those used abroad, ie.. rear facing seats, its pretty shocking. What I dont understand is why they never made it a legal requrement in this country. There has been a campaign running for yrs now,

sorry .. I'm quite opinionated on this subject!!!!

btw..

http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI ... _embedded#

Theres lots of videos on the net showing the difference in the spinal movements in the event of a crash with rear and forward facing seats.

Children are happy which ever way they are round, its only the parents that choose what they prefer. We have a mirror for our god daughter, and at nearly ten months, she knows she can see us in the mirror and she can twinkle her eyes at us and laugh.

Its not a pain to use, we've had it in a three door car an managed to get her in no problem.

ps....
http://www.securatot.co.uk/rear-facing-car-seats

http://www.babyandco.com/itemlist.php/c ... findchil/1

Lots of sites now sell them in the UK ours looks like the brio zento though I think it called something else a few yrs ago. Its very compact, We can easily fit three of them in the back of our car, all rear facing, or a combination.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:11 pm

thats fab ems i was looking at the brio zento as thought it looked alot more compact because even teh first class toucesh the front seat in our car and we can't lose the front seat iyswim i am deffo going to be looking to get one i think theres a nice britax secura hi way on ebay i know they tell you not to use second hand seats but i could afford that and can't afford a £200 one new i may even get a rear facing carry one like a graco as the seats are big on them as teh first clas sis very wobbly

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:16 pm

I dont think anyone sell the their carseat if they had had a crash or there was something wrong with it :) Often ppl buy things like this, switch cars and it doesnt fit etc.. or they have just outgrown them ... They are very expensive I must admit.

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:46 pm

I have the Concord Ultima - it is only rear facing till approx. 18months but is a brilliant car seat (German!)

Must admit i didn't know you could buy any car seats over here that were rear facing for alot longer - may have to look in to it a bit more now :D

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:18 pm

goign to try and sell his pushchair to buy teh seat on ebay i think

My avatar
bedheaduk
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby bedheaduk » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:53 pm

VICKERSHOUSE wrote:I have the Concord Ultima - it is only rear facing till approx. 18months but is a brilliant car seat (German!)

Must admit i didn't know you could buy any car seats over here that were rear facing for alot longer - may have to look in to it a bit more now :D

We have this seat too and it's fantastic. We looked at the Britax First class and tbh, althought the mothercare fitter said it was ok, I wouln't have put a dog in it, never mind a child there was that much movement when it was rear facing. The Concord fits in the car differently, you fasten in the frame and then slide the seat onto it. For us this was a compromise, we did look at the rear facing group 1 seats, but space was an issue as we are both tall and need the seat back a long way to drive, the seat we have only just fitted behind my drivers seat. I think that someone (sorry, can't remember who :oops: ) has already given a link to them, but Paul Stride in York are excellent for car seats and carry a range of the rear facing ones.
xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:03 pm

I know Abbie who used to post on here (poshmama) stil has her DS in a rear facing seat, he is 3 I think, his seat cost a small fortune though. If I thought Gracie would tolerate rear facing I would but I know she would go mental and vomit every where!

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:17 pm

I've had to put Kerr in a forward facing car seat much earlier than I wanted to because he screams and screams and screams in his rear facing one. I figured I was much more likely to have an accident with him screamiing in the back of the car. He's definitely much happier facing forward and we haven't had a single screaming episode since changing over. I know I'll probably get flamed for that, but I bought the best ff Britax car seat I could afford. I just couldn't listen to him screaming and in distress any more than I had to.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:22 pm

i think that the brio one is sold in the uk...i looked into it all a few months ago...i will certainly be replacing my first class (its more than 5 years old anyway) with a rear facing stage one when baby outgrows the maxi cosi baby carrier.

it makes so much ssense.

BUT, Boo is car sick, and i think a car sick one in a rear facing seat must be a nightmare.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler