hf1

Phone call to well known car seat manufacturer!

My avatar
Zingylemontart
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover
Une bonne tarte francaise

Phone call to well known car seat manufacturer!

Postby Zingylemontart » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi ladies

Following on from the car seat thread the other day, I decided to see what the manufacturer of my car seats said regarding the "expiry date" matter. I asked if their car seats had an "expiry date", and she said no, they didn't, they just had a warranty of 12 months. When I probed further and said "so they don't deteriorate in any way over time?", she said "no, I've never known a car seat to deteriorate."

Coming from them, that's scary. I trust you lot on here more than them to tell me the truth.

I'm still trying to figure out how we can afford a new car seat for D, as one of ours is around 6 years old, and I'd like a rear facing one, but it's finding the funds that will be interesting.

Does anyone have a link to anything regarding the 5 year expiry matter on car seats please?

TIA

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Phone call to well known car seat manufacturer!

Postby dawnsmummy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:43 pm

I've only ever heard that you shouldn't buy the second hand, incase they've been in even an minor bump as that might have damaged it slightly and weaken it. I've had carseats off friends before tho as I know they haven't been in them.
Dunno anything about them 'going off' :giggle:

My avatar
Zingylemontart
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover
Une bonne tarte francaise

Postby Zingylemontart » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:48 pm

I think it was Shevi who first brought it up in the post about rear facing car seats the other day. Apparently, the plastic tends to degrade over time.

Can someone who knows what they're talking about please rescue me on this one?! :giggle:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Here's some technical guff that doesn't seem to say alot really http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_u ... tm#expdate

While googling it I found a forum where one user said he had taken an old car seat down from his parent's attic and as he'd lifted it the side had come off, as the plastic had deteriorated over the years despite the attic being climate controlled so not enduring excesses of temperature.

Tbh if you've rung a manufacturer I'm surprised they haven't told you they need replaced after the expiry date as it's an ideal opportunity to sell a new carseat to a concerned parent.

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Yes there is plenty of advice online that car seats do expire, the plastics degrade from being in the car in the sun etc

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 659AAE4AeQ

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:08 pm

i know graco carseats used to have a expiry date on them underneath by the buckle

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:24 pm

From here

Replacing Seats
Using the Right Child Restraint - Replacing SeatsChild car seats suffer from wear and tear, especially if they are constantly being put into and taken out of cars. They should be replaced according to the manufacturer’s recommendations or about every five years. If they are not used regularly, store them out of direct sunlight and where they are not likely to suffer accidental damage.

Beware of a second-hand child restraint as it may not be possible to be certain of its history. It may have been involved in an accident and have hidden damage. It is likely that the instructions will be missing. Second-hand seats are also likely to be older, to have suffered more wear and tear and may not be designed to current safety standards.

My avatar
cookiegirl
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cookiegirl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:25 pm

I've never thought about this :oops: and have no advice, but I wonder if they were to put it in writing to you if they would have the same answer to your question??! (IYKWIM)

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Emma S » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Just the other day I noticed that Jack's car seat is breaking up. TBH I am a bit cross about this, as he isnt of the age when he needs to be out of it yet, and it was brand new when I bought it. One of the straps also seems to be slightly longer on one side than the other, so its always a bit tight on one shoulder and a bit loose on the other. Its not a cheap brand either.

Jasmine has one we have had just as long, it must be in the loft, and it was a booster seat from the same brand, but that seems to be OK. Hers was second hand as well.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler