hf1

Phone call to well known car seat manufacturer!

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Phone call to well known car seat manufacturer!

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:02 pm

wonder if it applies to say a britax one which goes from 9 mths to 11 year can't rember what its called but it has a harness then a high back booster then a booster seat so no point buying it if its got to be replaced in 5 years is there :-?

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:55 pm

babyjjbaby wrote:wonder if it applies to say a britax one which goes from 9 mths to 11 year can't rember what its called but it has a harness then a high back booster then a booster seat so no point buying it if its got to be replaced in 5 years is there :-?

Good point! It's not a money saver at all then is it.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Amanda wrote:
babyjjbaby wrote:wonder if it applies to say a britax one which goes from 9 mths to 11 year can't rember what its called but it has a harness then a high back booster then a booster seat so no point buying it if its got to be replaced in 5 years is there :-?

Good point! It's not a money saver at all then is it.

It is a good point. But I think the 5yrs is to do with the plastic weakening so that the harness wouldn't be secure, and that won't be an issue if they are secured with the adult belt anyway :-?

My avatar
Zingylemontart
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover
Une bonne tarte francaise

Postby Zingylemontart » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Funny you should mention Britax....... :wink:

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:50 pm

Obviously plastic will deteriorate over time, not only under the normal stresses and strains endured during transit, but also from any extra forces eg toddler banging it, extreme temperatures etc. Also consider the fixing, eg isofix vs seatbelt.
I personally buy a new carseat for each group - after suffering the loss of a child, I know that spending a few extra pounds is a lot more important than losing a child, especially by something like the deterioration of carseat materials........
Its very interesting to know that they dont claim to know anything about their own materials :-?

My avatar
quinnsfluffybum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby quinnsfluffybum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:11 pm

My infant car seat (Mamas & Papas) has also got an expiry sticker on it. It says it's not safe to use after 2013 which is 5 years after the date of manufacture. I think this makes the sale & regulation of car seats (esp 2nd hand ones) a bit safer as long as you know the history of the seat, but why isn't it a universal requirement?

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler