hf1

Dribble/bib rash or an allergy???

My avatar
sjb2711
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Dribble/bib rash or an allergy???

Postby sjb2711 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:28 pm

I don't know whether I imagining it but Joseph seems to rub his chin after eating toast/bread. Consequently both his chin and hands are red from rubbing. I don't think his face reddens before he starts rubbing.

We've followed the BLW approach and whilst I offer other foods at mealtimes, he most reliably chews his way through toast/bread. He does have eczema on the sides of his face and his skin is generally dry. We use diprobase and HC (sparingly) and I always give him a dry bib after a meal.

I guess a wheat or gluten allergy springs to mind, but he never really showed the same discomfort when he was sucking on a rusk (now stopped giving these to him). Also he doesn't have any other obvious symptoms. Yes his poo is slightly green sometimes but he had this when he was just on breast milk for 6 months.

I hope the dribble rash theory is more likely - as we went down the possible allergy route with Jacob because he had glue ear and a constant runny nose. The fact that he was at nursery and was exposed to loads of bugs was more likely the cause and a set of cranial osteopathy also helped - no grommets were needed, even if that was what the docs thought was best (we didn't!!)

Apologies for deviating from my original question, any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

My avatar
sjb2711
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sjb2711 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:02 pm

I spoke to my osteopath yesterday and she thinks that sore gums/teething might be the culprit. The fact that his face reddens is just his dry skin and where he rubs his face to alleviate his discomfort.

Anyway thanks for reading - has anyway else’s little one dealt with teething pain in this way (face rubbing)? It’s not something I noticed with Jacob he seemed to just get red cheeks :) :)

Sarah

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:03 pm

sjb2711 wrote:I spoke to my osteopath yesterday and she thinks that sore gums/teething might be the culprit. The fact that his face reddens is just his dry skin and where he rubs his face to alleviate his discomfort.

Anyway thanks for reading - has anyway else’s little one dealt with teething pain in this way (face rubbing)? It’s not something I noticed with Jacob he seemed to just get red cheeks :) :)

Sarah

Erin gets eczema on her face which flares up with certain foods, teething and cold weather.

Shea butter is great but when it's really bad it sometimes needs a boost in healing so I use the cream the dermatologist prescribed.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:26 pm

Does the redness seem to be linked to those times he has wheat?
Hard to say about wheat allergy really as you'd have to have none for two weeks to see the full difference I think but you could try without for a few days and see if it makes a difference?

Isabelle used to get a terribly sore chin when she was littler and teething - especially if her bib wasn't changed frequently...

Whoops come back and seen this unposted, sorry!!

We found vaseline was a reasonable barrier and shea butter is fab stuff too...

Probably best to go easy on the bread, i.e. don't offer it at every meal, try potatoes, rice-cakes, oat cakes etc as alternatives...

Hope you can heal his face soon xxxx

My avatar
sjb2711
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sjb2711 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:49 am

Thank you for your replies - where's the best place to buy shea butter from?

Sarah

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:48 pm

If you have a look in the nappy rash section there's a few links in there - sorry no time to look them out for you today - hectic cleaning!! Would normally though, sorry!

Top tips thread is best place to look... xxxx

Return to Baby and Toddler