hf1

Terrified of vaccum cleaner!!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Terrified of vaccum cleaner!!

Postby tanya » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:28 am

Well, as the title says, Bella is utterly terrified of the vacuum cleaner :( I just tried to clean her bedroom, whilst she was occupied in the lounge (radio on, so not dead quiet) and she had hysterics, to the extent she threw up!!

What to do? My carpets are in desperate need of cleaning and I just cannot use the vacuum cleaner. We have one of those carpet sweepers too, but TBH, it's cr@p.

She's been like this since she was tiny. At first, we just tried to do it more often to get her used to it and she just got worse and worse about it. Now we attempt it every now and again, but it results in the hysterical tears and throwing up!

I sometimes get DH to take her out at the weekend so I can do it whilst she's not here, but this weekend I went back to bed instead :oops:

I feel like such a worm atm, and feeling so guilty, I have put Pooh Bear on for her and fed her crisps :oops:

Anyone know of a quiet vacuum cleaner we could get?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Terrified of vaccum cleaner!!

Postby dawnsmummy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:38 am

I just saw you FB status about this hun.
Dawnie hates the hoover too, she shouts "NO MUMMY!" at me, but she's not bad once it's on. She just runs around picking everything up incase the hoover eats it. I have a Hetty (bascially a pink version of the Henry!) and that has a Hi and Lo option. The Lo one is rather quiet. Maybe oneof them would be better? And it has the face on too so she might view it as less scarey? IDK. Oh, you can also get toy Hetty and Henry's, so maybe if she had a matching one, she wouldn't be as scared?

:hug: :hug: :hug: hun, you're not a 'worm' at all. Carpets need hoovered, especially with a toddler!!

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am

Alex was absolutely petrified of the hoover too. We just didn't do it when he was around (so not often then :roll: ). He wouldn't go near it when it was off either.

I think he just grew out of it when he was a bit older than Bella is. We also picked up a toy hoover from a jumble sale and that made it a bit better for him - it's a toy dyson upright so similar to ours. We never put the batteries in it because it makes a horrible noise but he used to help by hoovering round while we were hoovering.

Hope she gets over it soon but I think it might take another year or so!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:53 am

Hmmm, That's a good idea about no batteries. MIL has one of the toy Dyson's, but when we switched it on with Bella around, she screamed and had hysterics at that too. Maybe I'll just have to live with the bits on my carpets until she grows out of it *sigh*

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:45 pm

Luckily Ben isn't sooooo bad, he just knows how to turn it off, so generally will run and turn it off and when I manage to hoover too fast for him to catch me he goes and unplugs it to shut it up! He doesn't like the mini handheld dyson much but that is slightly quieter and tiny incomparison to the large one. But then he also dismantles it when he feels like it.

Hmm, what to do, perhaps let her try turning it on and off (or joking here stick cotton wool in her ears?)

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Can you get hold of some builders earmuffs??? My friend has a few pairs for her boys on bonfire night and they are amazing!! Dont let any sound in!!!! Would you like me to try get some for you? her hubby gets them from work...

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Phebie is exactly the same, she hates the vaccum with a passion. I just wait til daddy is around and he takes her into another room while I do it. William on the other hand loves the vaccum and I caught him trying to plug it in the other day :shock:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks for the offer Charli, but I think we are going to look for a quieter hoover and a set of wireless (can) headphones, which she can wear watching a DVD on our bed. In fact, your suggestion of builder's ear muffs prompted DH to think of that. We figure if she's distracted by a DVD, she's less likely to take them off!!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 pm

CAn't help I'm afraid just want to send some :hug: :hug: for you and Bella. I would be demented if Gracie was frightened of our hoover as I have hoover OCD, Gracie likes to stand on the front of our hoover :roll:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler