hf1

sleep- wwyd??

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

sleep- wwyd??

Postby fleur08 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:08 pm

im having trouble with emilies sleeping-again.
shes always been a crap sleeper,never sleeping through,waking 5 times a night etc.
anyway just after her birthday i did the controlled crying thing, i did it with tom so i know it can work.
it was horrendous, 1.5 hours of screaming,then 30mins sleep,then 1.5 hours screaming -the cycle continued for the 1st night & a total of 6+ hours screaming from pm-am, it improved slowly over the first week & in week 2 she slept through most nights.

since then its been on -off, some good night ,some bad- till last week then its back to square 1, will happily go upstairs to her bed & put her arms up to be lifted,then the minute you lift her she goes ballistic,screaming,trying to stand up and get out of her cotbed & again it will take her 1.5 hours to eventually fall asleep only to wake up screaming in under an hour.
about 2am she does it again,and she is LOUD, nothing settles her,and she ends up in bed with me,and my bf goes downstairs.

ive got to the point now at bedtime that i stay with her till she falls asleep,i cant cope with the quantity +volume of screaming if i dont.
i did wonder if taking the sides off her cotbed would help? she does like to do most things herself. :-?
shes only just 15 months.

does anyone have any suggestions?
its really starting to pee me off and my bf is getting pretty fed up and wants it sorted.

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: sleep- wwyd??

Postby busybee » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:52 pm

I don't know if I'm the best person to be advising here but because my daughter has always been difficult at bedtime and wakes a lot during the night too. We co-slept when she was small (it was easier for feeding) and ever since then she has slept in our bed and I still have to lie with her until she falls asleep. Sometimes it frustrates me a bit that I have to do that, especially as she is often carrying on and not even trying to fall asleep :roll: meanwhile I'm knackered and just about falling asleep myself! One of my friends had a similar problem with her daughter and she just grew out of it by the time she was about 2. I know that seems a long way off for you now, but it may be that your daughter needs that security of having you near while falls asleep just now. I sometimes find it easier if my OH lies with us while we try to get her off to sleep, I feel we are both taking the strain of it rather than just me. Everyone has different ideas on sleep problems, but I think it's something you just have to put up with till your LO grows out of it, unfortunately. Especially if you have already tried leaving her to cry and that didn't work. Hopefully someone else will come along with some other ideas for you. :hug:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:04 pm

I had a period of problems with Charlotte going to bed. She was a bit older but at first we stayed in the room next to her bed until she fell asleep, as like you said she would just scream and scream if you left the room. Then gradually over the course of a couple of weeks we started to move towards the door until we would say - right I am just going to be sitting outside the door, I am still here. And then eventually we could just say night night and leave the room and she would go to sleep. I don't know if this will help with waking during the night but it was the easiest and kindest way I felt of getting her to sleep on her own.

I hope it improves for you. It is awful when they won't sleep and even worse when they just cry and scream :hug:

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:47 pm

fleur08 wrote:
i did wonder if taking the sides off her cotbed would help? she does like to do most things herself. :-?
shes only just 15 months.

A friend of mine put her DS in a toddler bed as soon as he was walking (around 10 months).This gave him the option of going to her if he was in need of comfort. He crept into bed with her for a few nights until he realised he wasn't trapped and slept better in his own bed.
Hope you find a solution soon.

Return to Baby and Toddler