cough syrup and laxative effect

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

cough syrup and laxative effect

Postby littlesez » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:34 am

izzy has had a cough for a month :shock: been to out of hours once and docs once going back in 20 mins too. will be getting some more meltus as that seemed to help a little bit. i have been using a different one which has an coincided with 24hrs of diorheaa (sp) i have only just put the two together when i read the box which said may cause mild laxative effect!

feel terrible :cry: i should have read the box properly. poor izzy she has had 3 nappy changes this morning. they get cjhanged so quick as there is a right stink which is impossible to miss :giggle:

has anyone else had this mild effect, mild by big fat ass

i am going to :bf: all day i think to help her any suggestions of whether we should have any solids/what?

tia

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: cough syrup and laxative effect

Postby emmalala » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:12 am

which cough medicine was it? some are'nt allowed for under 2's any more, even though they say different on the box. And i think the advice now is to keep feeding them but not sure so hopefully someone more helpfull will come along!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:16 am

littlesez wrote:has anyone else had this mild effect, mild my big fat ass

:hohoho:
We've been lucky to avoid coughs so far with Grace though she did have a litle one this morning but I don't remember it having an effect on Isabelle but again I didn't give it to her than much as her coughs were asthma based so inhalers did the trick...

if you don't give her much solids but BF a lot then that will have a laxitive effect too ;)

She can have whatever solids she fancies but just be aware if she coughs while eating something esp gloopy - it will likely all come back up... :roll:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:19 am

not had this I'm afraid but I would avoid giving her too much dairy as it can cause more mucus to form.
Calpol is actually more effective as a cough medicine that an actual cough remedy and also warm fresh orange (dilluted) can be good, we put honey in as well but you can't do that yet. And I know I bang on about them but humidifiers really work wonders even the doctors in the hospital were impressed we use one. x

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:21 am

oh doh, its this one http://www.allhealth-info.com/shared/pr ... txt=MELTUS i need to read properly! :giggle: but WTs

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:24 am

If the runs is because of the medicine not a tummy bug I'd keep the solids as per usual.

Hope she is better soon. xxx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm

thanks guys will try her with some lunch now :D she has had the all clear from docs so just a cough have to grin and bear it :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Kirstyh wrote:not had this I'm afraid but I would avoid giving her too much dairy as it can cause more mucus to form.
Calpol is actually more effective as a cough medicine that an actual cough remedy and also warm fresh orange (dilluted) can be good, we put honey in as well but you can't do that yet. And I know I bang on about them but humidifiers really work wonders even the doctors in the hospital were impressed we use one. x

kirsty dont have dairy either of us. re the humidifier, is it good for a cough or for a cold? is it similar to using steam? she has shaken off the cold/snot/fever just left with the pesky cough now, wakes her up :crossbaby: i think i will try calpol tonight as docs said would be more helpful too

Return to Baby and Toddler