hf1

LO refusing to take penicillin - aaaarrrrrgggghhhh

My avatar
quinnsfluffybum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

LO refusing to take penicillin - aaaarrrrrgggghhhh

Postby quinnsfluffybum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm really getting stressed by this. Quinn has been given penicillin for tonsilitis but is completely refusing to take it. He now becomes hysterical every time I approach him with the medicine syringe (which makes life tricky as he also has meds for his reflux & is getting wary of taking these too now).
Are there any clever tricks for getting him to take it?
I've tried putting it in the side of his cheek, offering a drink afterwards, giving it on a spoon. We've also tried 2 different flavours but they've both got that nasty sulphorous smell so I guess that's why he's refusing it. I'm just dreading the next dose.... :(

He's just turned 1 so not old enough for bribery yet!

Karen
x

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: LO refusing to take penicillin - aaaarrrrrgggghhhh

Postby Shevi » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:29 pm

my doc used to perscribe anti biotics in an infact drops formula for Boo who would ahve a similar reaction when i went at him with a syringe....this made it slightly easier as there was less to give as it was more concerntrated.

we still had to have one person holding down and entertaining and the other person dripping it in his cheek so it ran down his throat...but as there was only 1 -2 mls to give it was much more difficult for him to spit out, so we rarely had to do it twice.

sorry i cant be of more help. its horrible isn't it :-?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Erm I know you said he's only just turned one but try giving them with a chocolate button? :oops:

Reflux meds thankfully go down well here...

Can you mix it with a small amount of juice?

Obviously I wouldn't normally advocate giving neat juice or strong squash or chocolate to a 1yo but when they're ill and you have to get the medication in that's different...

Have you thought about trying a medication dummy if he takes one?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:37 pm

i cant remeber when we started to do the old choc button method (one before...then medicine with kid focusing on the second button you have shown them, then quick other button!!!) but i think stephs right, it was probably quite early on...

(tho Boo also had his first choc at 6 weeks as taneli was 'sharing'.... :shock: :roll: what can you do, cant tell off big bro for sharing with new baby...he had even broken it in tiny bits for him :giggle: thankfully most got dribbled straight back out and was under his chin)

My avatar
quinnsfluffybum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby quinnsfluffybum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:02 pm

:giggle: re the sharing! I'm not sure my sister was ever that kind to me when we were young!!

I've got some dairy free buttons in the cupboard from making Quinn's b'day cake so I'm gonna give it a go. At least that way he might 'forgive' me a bit quicker for making him have the medicine. And yep, he also has dairy allergy - he can't seem to do anything via the easy, straightforward route it would seem!

I'm not entirely convinced with the diagnosis of what's wrong with him actually. He's been unwell for nearly 2 weeks now, started with snotty nose, cough, high temp thing. By Thurs last week my GP was convinced (without actually seeing him) he had swine flu so he was issued with Tamiflu. By Thurs night he was crying uncontrollably so we went to out of hours GP who diagnosed tonsilitis & started penicillin. By Fri he had ulcers/blisters on his lips & tongue - like hand, foot & mouth - but only his mouth has been affected. By Sun his gums were swollen & bleeding. Saw GP on Mon who said tonsils were now better but has no idea what the other symptoms are. At one point he suggested it was teething :x !!!! And last night & today his temp is still 39.5...and this is day 12. It's prob just some weird virus, but Quinn can't seem to shake it off. Sorry for the essay, I just feel like I live at my GP surgery at the mo.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:05 pm

quinnsfluffybum wrote::giggle: re the sharing! I'm not sure my sister was ever that kind to me when we were young!!

my sister is 18 months younger than me...and i when i had mumps and was throwing up all them time i apparently used to toddle over to her and puke on her.
:twisted:

She has never forgiven me :giggle:

my poor mother :evil: :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:12 pm

i'm having the same problems with dan whos just turned one. going to try the choc button approach :giggle:
at the mo im just squirting a bit in quick and then shoving his dummy in really fast so he swallows it. Bit of a nightmare really, and like your lo he was given tamiflu but it turned out to be a chest infection :roll:

My avatar
quinnsfluffybum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby quinnsfluffybum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:15 pm

They seem to be putting everything down to swine flu :-? :-? . Did you use the tamiflu? We didn't bother, as I wasn't convinced by the diagnosis...

My avatar
quinnsfluffybum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby quinnsfluffybum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Shevi wrote:
quinnsfluffybum wrote::giggle: re the sharing! I'm not sure my sister was ever that kind to me when we were young!!

my sister is 18 months younger than me...and i when i had mumps and was throwing up all them time i apparently used to toddle over to her and puke on her.
:twisted:

She has never forgiven me :giggle:

my poor mother :evil: :babyrolleyes:

Ah you see I am the younger (tortured!) sister so my sympathies lie with your sister on this one :lol:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler