hf1

Dummies

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Dummies

Postby Rae » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Now there is no way I am going to try weaning Kayleigh off her dummy and getting her to sleep in her own bed at an earlier time all at once, but just wondering for those of you that used dummies, what age did your LO's give them up at?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:09 pm

Isabelle gave up her dummy around 11-12 months - she only had it for bedtime/naps (and even then only at home) at that point anyway and she just wasn't bothered - just took it out after a few sucks and threw it away at that point... Never asked for it after that!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:29 pm

I can't actually remember when Charlotte gave it up - she discovered she liked to suck her fingers instead and just abandoned the dummy. You can always tell when she is sleepy as the fingers go in the mouth. Not much better than a dummy I guess but at least her fingers don't get lost :lol:

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:08 pm

Jack still has a dummy for naps and bedtime as long as it goes sometime between now and aged 3 I'll not stress too much. Now if he was having it all day that would be a different matter.

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:19 pm

None of mine had dummies but they all self-weaned from bottle or breast (which is essentially what the dummy is replacing, innit ;) ) between 3 and 4yo.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Jake sucked his thumb til about 3/4 and then saved it for bed. Don't think he does anymore but occassionally when he's not been well I've seen it creep back in.

Erin still has her dummy and to start I thought I'd just make her go cold turkey and take it off her. However my way of thinking has changed a lot this time round! I figure other toddlers have blankies, teddies, boobs and so on so why can't she have her dummy? I think once she's a bit older and can understand it a bit more I shall take it away.

I'm hoping nursery will help wean her off it too.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:09 am

Hannah stopped using hers around 2. We were shopping and she kept throwing it away so the next bin that we walked past dp pretended to throw it away and she just seemed to except that and didn't ask for it again or if she did we said that it was in the bin at the shops.

Phebie still has hers and will probably still have it til the 2yr mark as well.

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:28 am

trogette wrote:None of mine had dummies but they all self-weaned from bottle or breast (which is essentially what the dummy is replacing, innit ;) ) between 3 and 4yo.

Well we happily co exist with both :lol: I think the dummy will go well before the breastfeeding stops.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:08 pm

ericaj1 wrote:
trogette wrote:None of mine had dummies but they all self-weaned from bottle or breast (which is essentially what the dummy is replacing, innit ;) ) between 3 and 4yo.

Well we happily co exist with both :lol: I think the dummy will go well before the breastfeeding stops.

Yep we happily co-existed with them for a while - just boob now though, but for us the dummy wasn't a boob replacement :)

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler