hf1

Drawing

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Drawing

Postby Mareth » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks everyone. Obviously the children that *can* draw at his age are just prodigies :giggle: . I don't feel so bad now.

Velvetsteph wrote:
I would say his colouring skills are ace - Isabelle's only just started doing that (rather than just scribbling across the entire page) and still often just scribbles over the page rather than actually colouring in...

He's always been good at colouring. The first time I ever put a picture in front of him (at about 18m) his colouring skills were pretty much the same, I ripped that page out of the colouring book and dated it :oops: to keep :giggle:

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:
He's always been good at colouring. The first time I ever put a picture in front of him (at about 18m) his colouring skills were pretty much the same, I ripped that page out of the colouring book and dated it :oops: to keep :giggle:

I have kept all of Abbie's good drawings! :giggle: Although I think I am going to have to be more selective considering the amount she brings home from nursery and the ones she does at home on top of that!!! Abbie draws every single day, she loves it!

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:31 pm

I think Rhys is still very young to be worrying about it. To me it sound like a big developmental milestone that he shouldn't be anywhere near yet (as in another 18 months away). You think what kids draw when they go into primary school, that's only just recognisable. There's so much to learn with colours and objects anyway, nevermind drawing them himself. The only thing we do with Ella is we draw with her, so we draw her a picture to name, colour in or we draw actions and scenes building up so I'll story tell by drawing with her, then something else on a new page (fairly badly scrawled usually and I studied at art school :giggle: ). She shows a natural inclination to drawing and colouring far more than anything else and is left handed like me, but it's all just scribbles and marks. If she colours she goes straight for facial features to colour in. It's something that family are encouraging too by buying her an easel and aquadraw, so she'll probably get pushed in that direction creatively by intent, though she's naturally interested in making marks. I think if a kid has something like that they love, they will naturally develop their skills themselves.

I'm curious to see what she'll be like as she gets older where both her parent are pretty good at drawing. Like Jan says it's sort of hereditary as well, beyond very basic drafting, but you can't tell until much further down the line really. One of the first things you learn at art school is about colour and how to make marks. Tbh, it's not just about drawing something recognisable or exact, it's more about learning to draw, paint and materials, different colours, tone, texture, interaction, imagination or whatever. There's certainly loads of ways to encourage and develop drawing and painting if it's something he seems to enjoy. You can teach them to draw round and round and turn it into a game by drawing as well with them making different colours, lines and shapes.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:06 pm

William just scribbles with lots of lines and dots. Phebie is just starting to draw proper faces and flowers and shes nearly 3.5yo. Rhys colouring in is excellent!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Gracie really isn't interested in drawing at all and tbh we don't do that much of it, she would still rather eat the crayon or pencil. Anna has always loved to draw and could write her name at about 20 months, Kieran still isn't interested in it!!!

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler