Best car seat? Group 1 and onwards?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Best car seat? Group 1 and onwards?

Postby littlesez » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 am

I have been checking this thread as we are coming upto the group1 stage, does anyone know what to do if you want a rearward facing carseat because its supposed to be safer but you haven't got £200-£300 spare at the moment :x why do they have to be so expensive, and sounds like they are not easily available so what are the chances of getting one second hand :(

I was just going to get a cheapo stage 0 carseat but then read loads of stuff like you do when your pg :roll: about how isofix is safer so im thinking well i have to get isofix because if bubs is ever hurt in a car accident i'll be thinking what if? So i go and buy isofix and it seems i am in the same position. It really annoys me that the safer options are more expensive WTF
:evil:

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:30 am

I saw this on ebay yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHILDS-CAR-SEAT-B ... 2303efbfbb

dunno how good they r, but quite cheap

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:39 am

vampiredreams wrote:Brio Zento is the name of one very good rear/forward facing carseat

Just found this one - http://www.paulstride.co.uk/group-0-1/b ... 25703-.php

Looks good but £200 :shock:

This one looks good too, http://www.babycarecentres.co.uk/britax ... 20530.html

Just read the link you posted Louise and Ems post really pointed out the importance of a good rear facing car seat -

"I have a Brio rear facing car seat for my god daughter, I wouldnt ever ever use a forward facing seat. I bought it abroad in Germany. The trend in the UK has been geared towards forward facing carseats, as the Brits apparently would rather like to see the face of their child. But as many of you know, the law abroad is that the child is rear facing for much longer than here in the UK. Not wanting to scare anyone, but I'm paraplegic, when I was in hospital there was a child brought in from a car accident with a break in her neck at C3-4-5 basically, she wont feed herself, walk, or be able to cough properly again. All becuase the car she was in had a front colllision, her head was flung forward with nothing to brace onto, at which point the break would have happened, and was then flung back into the seat. She died after a month in ITU. Spinal shock is very serious, the pressure that swells in the spinal cord has no where to go but upwards generally. Three verts up from C3 is the brain stem.
Its these types of collisions that break necks and backs. Those that put a child in the middle with just a lap belt risk breaksing their back in a font or rear collisions, or even just stopping too quickly. The body is thrown forward from the hips, the injury most get from that is T12-T10 as its the weakest spot where the lumber verts meet the thoracic verts, which if your then paralysed, its just below your wiast line downwards. I was brought up in Germany, and so have grown up with rear facing seats being the norm, and for all the reasons above and the fact I just believe they are so much safer. I have never put a child in a forward facing carseat, and I would refuse to take any child in my car if I didnt have it. I just would never take the risk. Maybe becuase I peronally know the risks, and what they mean to me and my life.

If in this country rear facing was made legal, out of the 100+ children that break their necks and backs every yr in this country becuase of the forward facing design, many of those would be walking the rest of their lives. Those that actually die as a result of spinal shock due to unstable fractures in the spine which lead to damage of the spinal cord which results in paraplegia and quadraplegia, may have lesser an injury in the first place, and only have a mild injury, or probably none at all.

They are hard to find in this country, as the makers dont sell them becuase the demand is low due to the * I need to be able to see my baby*.'

I am definitely telling DP about this, shame we cant try the fit before we buy, we dont have many big shops near us that would sell car seats etc :( x

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 am

have u got anywhere with this hun? x

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm

fluffycabbage wrote:have u got anywhere with this hun? x

Not really! Why is it so difficult to find the best car seat for your LO? :-?

Sarah

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler