hf1

I cant get him to take his ranitidine!?!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

I cant get him to take his ranitidine!?!

Postby megansmummy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:58 am

Kieren has just been prescibed it and i cant get him to take it, he spits it straight out...to be fair, i tasted it last night and its foul but i need to him swallow it to see if its going to make any difference?? help!! :-? It says in the instructions you cant mix it with anything? Also when do you give it? it doesnt say whens best to give but he has to have it 3 times a day? I have googled but come up with conflicting information :oops:

Thanks!!

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: I cant get him to take his ranitidine!?!

Postby fluffycabbage » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 am

how are you giving it to him hun? i give medicine by syringe. you have to put the syringe into the corner of the mouth while theyre laying on their back, point it to the back of their throat, then they'll automatically swallow when it hits the throat.

personally i'd give it about half an hour before a feed, but is theres no specific info on times, then go with whats best for you x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 am

I am giving it by syringe but i havnt been squirting it in to the corner of his mounth so will try that...he seems to hold his breath and then fire the whole lot back at me (i do it in 2 halfs) :-? Will try that thanks hun!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:08 am

Not sure what Ranitidine is but I've always found the best way to give meds is as Sarah said I squirt it down the side of there mouth and also tilt there head back slighty.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:09 am

np - let me know how it goes :wink:

ETA if he seems to be holding his breath, keep the syringe in his mouth til he takes a breath then squirt it in when hes breathing out. if he still doesnt wanna swallow, massage/tickle his adams apple area, he'll swallow then :D

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 am

Again, not sure about that particular medicine but I put the syringe into the corner of the mouth and have her tilted back but not flat. Then a small amount goes in along her inner cheek IYSWIM and I rub under her chin sometimes to encourage her to swallow, same until its all gone.

Good Luck. xxx

My avatar
FUZZIFAN
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby FUZZIFAN » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:13 am

I'm a bit mean when I give meds to my youngest (she is 21 months though :giggle: ) I squirt to the back and one side (with the syringe) and leave the syringe between her teeth until she has swallowed it. That way she has no control over her mouth otherwise she'll dribble it out. She won't even take calpol or anything so I have to be quite harsh with her. As the course of meds goes on she gets better as she knows she can't win.

Good luck, it's horrid having to do it.

Nicky

p.s I tilt her right back and pin her arms down too as she gets really :x

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:19 am

:giggle: sounds like my jaden :giggle:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:46 am

Ben was pretty bad with his omeprazole and similarly it tasted disgusting too so couldn't really blame him. BUT it was for his own good so I would lie him back and squirt it to the back of his throat so he just swallowed it and didn't get a chance to do anything else - one quick squirt of the whole lot.

I am glad you got prescribed something - I assume the GPs appointment went well. I hope you see an improvement, with Ben the change was dramatic and we saw an improvement straight away but I understand it can take a little while to kick in for some. FC for you

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler