hf1

Will we ever sleep at night again??

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Will we ever sleep at night again??

Postby mrssproggit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:06 am

Just wondering if anyone can help us out please! Our DD has always been a fairly good sleeper (she slept 6-8 hours in the first few weeks overnight!), and soon settled into a wonderful routine of going down at 7pm, waking for a feed at 4am and going back down (very easily) until around 7am again. It was an AMAZING time!!! :wine: :giggle: :wine: :giggle:

Recently though (for about the past six weeks), she's started waking more and more in the night :( to the extent that last night she woke up FIVE times!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: The thing is, she still goes down at 7pm (we've not changed the bedtime routine of feed/bath/massage/story, if not too tired/feed/sleep), and sleeps really well for a few hours until between 11-12. She then wakes up anything between three and (the worst night) five times between then and 7am, which is when we would be wanting to be asleep ourselves! :( She will settle without a feed for some of those times, but it can take up to an hour to settle her, so I normally cave and just :bf: her to calm her and help her get back to sleep. DH currently works two jobs (has his own business as well as a 9-5 job), so sleep deprivation is really not a good thing for him :( but he gets woken up with the screams whether he likes it or not.

We haven't changed anything of her bedtime routine, nor have we changed anything during the daytime (we don't have a routine for days, just follow her and what she wants/needs). I'm currently running on adrenaline and LOTS of sugar and coffee :coffee: , but just not sure how much longer I can last.

We just don't like leaving her to cry, although we did try it, and it just doesn't seem to work for her - she sometimes keeps screaming, and at other times settles for all of 5-10 mins and then starts all over again. :shock: :cry:

Has anyone any pearls of wisdom on how we can get our "angel sleeper" back again, or at least what we could do to help her sleep better?? Please help!!!

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Will we ever sleep at night again??

Postby indigosky2k » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:26 am

Firstly :hug: :hug: :hug: for the disturbed nights. Sleep deprivation is torturous :(
I'm just wonderng how old your DD is? I'm suspecting it's a developmental phase of some sort or teething and that hopefully it won't be long term. My DD went from just the one night feed, which she settled easily after, to 3+ wakngs and feedings a night, including nights where she was hard to settle. She was literally sleeping through 9pm - 5am from about 5 weeks, but at about 4 months this stopped and nothng I tried seemed to help in the long term. In the last couple of weeks, though, things have improved and we are now going from 8pm - 3am before she wakes for a feed.
You will get some sleep again. Though it's little comfort just now I have been told that eventually they will sleep through, though I beg that it be sooner rather than later :wink:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:01 am

Is she about 4 months old? Around that age they become aware of their surroundings when they wake at night (which they all do, as do adults, at regular intervals, just that we and they usually just go back to sleep straight away)

The most usuall problem is that they go to sleep with some kind of 'prop' like feeding or rocking to sleep, or in our case Martha used a dummy. Then when they wake in the night and the prop is not there they are bewildered

If that's the case, you need to remove the prop. Otherwise, the baby whisperer's pick up put down techinique has worked for us and others on here, or just stay with her until she goes back to sleep

The key is not to reward the night waking - no milk, no eye contact, keep speech to a minimum just with one or two repetitive soothing phrases, don't turn the lights up etc

I do firmly believe in the "core night" - once they have slept through without food not feeding them again. If she is genuinely hungry then I would try to up her milk intake during the day, but I think that's unlikely. I think a lot of people wean early as they think hunger is causing the night waking when it's just an age thing

I found the book Teach Yourself Baby Sleep by Andrea GRace incredibly helpful, she is a sleep expert who runs her own clinic, you can get it on Amazon for about a fiver

:hug: it does pass!!!

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks for your replies ladies! She's coming up to 6 months old, and we think she *might* be teething, but we've thought that for AGES now anyway, and nothing's happened on the tooth front! She was putting on weight REALLY slowly for a few weeks (took her three weeks to put on 6oz when previously she'd been putting it on at a rate if at least 6oz a week!), so we started weaning her at just over 5 months which she took to with great delight!

We used to give her a dummy, but found she would wake up crying LOADS more often because she didn't have the dummy in her mouth and so we had to go in to give it to her and help her settle. We've since weaned her off it, so now she does down without anything. She's getting pretty good at putting herself to sleep (esp in the daytime) when we'll just put her down in her cot. :D Sometimes she'll have a bit of a whinge/scream :( but she'll often calm herself, have a bit of a babble and then go off to sleep. Night time, she does the same initially, but just seems to wake up so much more often and needs us to help her settle back down! :-?

She's never been a difficult baby, always been good at sleeping and settling, only crying if she's tired or hungry, so this whole new phase has just totally thrown us! Since we know she's always been good, we don't feel leaving her to cry is a solution for her as she would be genuinely upset over something if she cries. A truly happy baby!!! :babyroll: :giggle:

Is there anything we're missing or that we could do differently?? Thanks again for all help, advice and support! x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 pm

i havve no advise of any use whatsoever :hohoho: izzy is 9 months and at the moment waking a lot last nigth was only 4 times but saturday night i lost count think about 7 the only thing i do is just accpt that she will wake up and i will have to feed her back to sleep im ok with it and she is so thats that really. told you absolutely useless aren't i :giggle:

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 pm

No help, but good to have some company on the sleepless nights front!! There have been nights we lost count too, so can empathise :hug: :hug: :hug: I too don't mind feeding her back to sleep, but don't want for her to become reliant on me to get to sleep - have visions of being the mum who :bf: her 12-year-old if so!! :shock: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: Hoping it gets better for you soon too!! x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Your deffinatly not alone, my son is a nightmare when it comes to sleeping at night and he is about to turn 7 months, he has reflux and we have recently started new medication for it which is improving his nights but at their worst, my husband and I have got up to him 27 times in one night...sleep depriavtion is torture...

I dont really have any advice, our nights are improving but Kieren will still wake between 5-10 times per night, for settling, to feed, just becuase he is awake etc...

He has never slept longer than 2 hours in a stretch (untill last night where he managed three but i wont get excited about that yet...) since he was born...

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:52 pm

:hug:
Nathan was sleeping 11-5 at 3 months but since around 4 and a half months has woken every 90 mins to 2 hours most nights! Like you I hve tried leaving him to cry which doesn't work v well for us so I often feed back to sleep as it's quicker and easier!
However Nathan won't settle himself to sleep in the day either!!
So no helpful advice here either I'm afraid but you're not alone :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:01 pm

There's a second horrible growth spurt at about 5.5months just when you think they're getting over the long 4months old one :roll: Once they pass the 6month mark (barring illness) it does improve...

And yes - you will get sleep again - when they leave home ;) :giggle: (sorry)

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler