hf1

Teething - update pg3

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Teething - update pg3

Postby fluffycabbage » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:32 pm

the only reason medised has had its license changed is due to mothers overdosing their children on the stuff. this info i got from the pharmacy and my gp recently.
tbh, if you're not capable of reading numbers on a syringe then you shouldnt be giving medicine at all. however i know vic can count, so im sure aiofe was perfectly safe x

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:25 am

The antihistamine in medised isn't that different to piriton and isn't strictly a sedative altho it can make you drowsy.antihistamines are safe for children and drs give them all the time.
The reason it was changed was what fluffycabbage said.
Tbh atm i'm very tempted to get some as i'm getting to the end of my tether with no sleep.
As a one off i can't see the harm but wouldn't use it all the time.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:30 am

recommended dose for a 3mth old was 2.5ml...I only used 1ml :shock:

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:04 pm

:shock: medised dosen't have the sleep affect on my lo. My doctor told me to give her a dose when she had swine flu so she could have 1 good nights sleep to help fight it off but it didn't work.

the age limits were changed due to parents giving it willynilly to kids that didn't need it to get sleep. as a result there was liver damage in these kids the were repeatedly dosed every night and parents that added a extra bit to make sure it worked which led to a overdose
once in a while in extreme cases is fine accorrding to njs direct my gp and my hv. As i was freking out about it. before the age change it was 3months+ so 1ml is fine to me. It no worse then having to give calpol and nerofen alternates when there temp is so very high as thats a far bigger dose IMO

My avatar
greenferret
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby greenferret » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Oh how I wish for decent sleep :evil: . Owen often wakes at night and very rarely sleeps much past 5am and that is despite the medication, (Vallergan, which incidentally is also an antihistamine, purely prescribed to help him sleep - he is 6 though :wink: ) it used to be worse!! And Esme still wakes at least twice every night, though she does at least usually settle back to sleep fairly well. And this week she's been full of cold/coughing too so awake for most of the night, though why do they always manage to sleep ok during the day when you can't?? :roll: Sleep depravation is a terrible thing sent to try us!! :giggle: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I was told one of the reasons they changed the age range originally (to 2yrs) was because they weren't really sure of the effect of the antihistamine on such young kiddies as it wasn't tried and tested if that makes sense... (ethically you can't test on babies for a start) and they weren't sure of the long term effects of such a medication...

Sure antihistamines have their place and occasional use is fine the trouble is like people have said using a medication to make your child sleep (unless it's prescribed, that's a rather different scenario) can be very addictive...

OTOH I'm the first to agree that kids with colds need help sleeping as they recover quicker if they sleep better and when they can't breathe thru their noses their sleep is terrible so an antihistamine to help dry out the nose and have a mild sedative effect isn't all bad ;)

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler