hf1

Gah - expressing!!!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Gah - expressing!!!

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Okay so I've got my first evening out on Friday and I need to express so that if Grace wakes DH can attempt to give her some milk - but I'm getting NOTHING!!!
I've even skipped a feed on one side and only fed on the other in an attempt to get something but I've managed less than 1oz!
Am going to try on the otherside while she's feeding later but I have a feeling it'll just be a distraction :?

Grrrrr...

I was never much good at it with Isabelle and only ever got anything when she'd missed a feed e.g. if I was at work :x and I'll need to express to provide milk for her first day at nursery too in January :evil:

Best get the docs to prescribe some neocate just incase... :roll:

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Gah - expressing!!!

Postby clairelana » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:31 pm

:hug:
I think it makes it worse when you know you have to do it. :roll:
I found that when i expressed in the middle of the night I got more. Plus the more I did it the more I got.
I used to feed Kaydi at 4am then come down and express for 1/2 an hour. I soon got a stock in the freezer.
When I first started to express I got under 1oz after time of doing it at the same time every day the amount increased. I even ended up donating to the milk bank.

Do you have a pump? Sometimes a different pump will help.
I have an avent double electric pump, if you would like to use it for a few weeks to give it a try you can.
I have had someone interested in buying it but she said it will be in the new year, if she has the money.

Don't worry about it, it will make it worse.

Edited to say all the partsd of the pump the milk touches are able to be sterilised.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:35 pm

:hug: It's soul destroying isn't it? :( I'm actually hoping I can get an electric pump after Christmas, because I'm fed up of only getting an ounce or two after a whole night of only feeding on one side :x
Expressing during a feed is good, but you're right about the distraction :roll: I've had it suggested to try it in the bath or shower, might be worth a go.
And it does get better the more you do it.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:25 pm

I didn't get on with the Avent electric one but thanks :)

I've got an avent hand pump which I've done ok with but to be honest I can't afford to buy a new pump though I've heard great things about the Medela ones... :?

I managed to get all of 1.5oz while she was feeding on the other side but it was a bit hit and miss because she was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO interested in the pump :hohoho:

It's a start anyway... I've no idea how much she'd actually take in a bottle but I'd like to leave at least 2x4oz minimum!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:07 pm

i think the medela one is amazing if your planning to give ebm for a few months it might be worth investing, it is the single most useful thing i have ever bought and saved me in the early days, maybe get one second hand?

I always express first thing in the morning but i have no chance if she has fed through night unless i feed on one side. it takes me half an hour too get about 4oz.

so where are you off to? :D

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:16 pm

im sure theres a medela mini in the for sale section.

let me have a look

ETA viewtopic.php?f=39&t=30949&p=370381&hilit=mini+pump#p370381

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I got a Medela double electric pump free for hire from a local Sure Start centre. Might be worth asking? I got mine for a couple of months and it was really effective. And easier to use than a hand pump or hand expressing.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 pm

:hug: I was lucky and got given a Medela electric one from a family member and it was brilliant. Having used a hand-pump recently I appreciate it even more. Would have galdly sent it onto you but its still in use on ds.

If you can get one 2nd hand I would as its makes expressing so much easier even if you do feel a milk like a milch-cow when you're hooked up to it. I laughed myself silly the first time I used it as didn't realise my nipple could stretch so far :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:43 pm

- I used a medula saved my life!

We had big issues latching do Dex was EBM feed for 5 weeks so I pumped about 6-7 hours a day! :shock:

Best time for pumping is between 12am - 4am!

If you can pump whilst :bf: you should get a good run as well.

Also pump in bursts, mimics the sucking pattern so do five minutes break for 5 then 15 etc x

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler