Gah - expressing!!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Gah - expressing!!!

Postby Annette » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:23 pm

I had a Medela mini electric which was fab. A little noisy but Ben didn't mind

I was expressing alot when Ben was small so that I could add Gaviscon :roll: Anyway, I found it best first thing in the morning - so feed all night on one side and then first feed of the morning pump the full side while he fed on the other - I always found I got a proper let down if he was feeding when I expressed, otherwise I couldn't get a let down and only got a dribble.

I then found, I needed to get into the routine of doing it every day to keep it up, otherwise your body just doesn't seem to produce enough to express beyond the babies needs iygwim

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Going to enquire of surestart about a pump tomorrow...

And you're right too I'm out of practice if you like - I managed to get a little more (2oz) when I was feeding Grace this evening and she was desperate for milk so less distracted by the pump :giggle:
But I definately need to get an electric one as my hand/arm are sooooore!!
Does the medela take Avent bottles? Or would I have to buy a bottle to fit it specifically?

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 pm

mine came with a bottle which I used to empty into a boob jucie freezer bag and pop in the fridge/freezer. so you could just pop in into a avent after

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Did anybody read the report about expressed milk being specific to time of day? ie it is not a good idea to give morning's milk in the evening as it will keep the baby awake.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091757.htm

Not sure about the statistical accuracy based on 30 women though.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah mine came with a bottle that screwed onto the bottom and I just sterilised it along with my other bottles before use. You can then just screw on the accompanying lid and store in the fridge or pour into your regular bottles till you need it.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 pm

ebonina wrote:Did anybody read the report about expressed milk being specific to time of day? ie it is not a good idea to give morning's milk in the evening as it will keep the baby awake.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091757.htm

Not sure about the statistical accuracy based on 30 women though.

Very interesting idea I'll go have a read - I agree though that 30 women isn't even a small sample size really :roll: :giggle:
I'll have a go at expressing tomorrow night then - most difficult time to express though for me :roll: :giggle:

I was just about to go express this evening as my (.v.) were feeling a bit full but she hollered at me over the monitor that it was hers thankyouverymuch :giggle:

Ta for the bottle info ;)

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:29 pm

I get more expressing in the morning.for a while i expressed 1oz after every feed.when my supply was low i pumped with a medela double hospital grade one which i'd hired and got 3 to 5 oz a time! Using a double pump now after a feed i can usually get 2 or 3 oz.i'd definitely recommend pumping at the same time each day.the amount you get will slowly increase. I need to start expressing again to build up the freezer stash!
I got bottles from richard cassidy which apparently fit most pumps.or s pour into bags.
[ Mobile Post ] Image

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:36 pm

:hug: :hug: hope you manage to find an electric one - I agree hand pumping gets PAINFUL after a while.

I used the hospital Medela pumps when my girls were in SCBU and found them pretty good too. Urgh, I just remembered how much I hated pumping.

I think I still have a bag of Medela storage bottles (the ones you attach to the pump) knocking around somewhere - if you decide to invest in one, let me know if you want them :wink: .

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler