hf1

harnesses

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

harnesses

Postby Rae » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:43 pm

So now Kayleigh is happy to start walking off wherever she tkes a notion, I thought it would be a good idea to get her monkey backpack/harness out and stop her. Problem is she gets to the end of the lead (monkey's tail) and then as she can't take the extra step she falls over. I have a feeling that she will learn, but it was awful seeing her on the ground (in the muck again) because I had this on her. On the plus side she couldn't run in front of cars.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:50 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I have a backpack with a lead thing but found that proper reins were better when she was younger as they give more control and help to stop them overbalancing iyswim, they are also easier to direct them.

These days the backpack is good as we only have to use it to stop her wandering off and she is pretty sturdy on her feet.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:56 pm

Have you thought about the wrist strap things. The one I got is adjustable from fairly close to quite long and it has elastic on to stop that inital stop feeling when they run out of 'lead'

But as you said she will learn how far she is allowed to walk off before falling over because she has gone to far!

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:59 pm

I've just got a backpack one and much prefer it to the normal reins or wrist strap.

They do learn not to run too far though :D

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:03 pm

i used to hold the handle on the top of the back pack at the beginning...taneli also used to run that bit to far and fall...my brothers suggestion was to replace it with elastic :shock:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:11 pm

Shevi wrote:i used to hold the handle on the top of the back pack at the beginning...taneli also used to run that bit to far and fall...my brothers suggestion was to replace it with elastic :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Surely that would mean they just fall backwards instead?

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:23 pm

I don't like seeing reins used to stop falls tbh, dealing with them is part of learning to walk IMO. But then I'm a 'walk nicely or in sling' kind of mum...

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 pm

babyroo wrote:
Shevi wrote:i used to hold the handle on the top of the back pack at the beginning...taneli also used to run that bit to far and fall...my brothers suggestion was to replace it with elastic :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Surely that would mean they just fall backwards instead?

yes! i can only assume you have never met my brother...or i havent spoken about him much!!! He is just that sort of bloke! we thought he'd be nicer to our kids when he had his own, but alas not!!! :P

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:28 am

I've been wanting to get one of those backpacks for Phebie. We tried a wrist strap with hannah and it didnt work for us at all! Dp had it and Hannah ran around a corner and she basically flung back like a slingshot when she ran out of length :shock: :shock: it was very elasticated though which I thought was stupid really :roll:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler