hf1

harnesses

My avatar
madcatlady
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby madcatlady » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:42 pm

I think the backpacks are a clever way of adding a bit of peace of mind to walking with a toddler :)
Edward loves walking, and we take him to a lot of outdoorsy type places so he can walk and run about. I'm not brave enough to walk him in the street yet though as he can wriggle his hand out of mine very easily and the thought of him running into the road really concerns me.

I'd certainly prefer a backpack harness to a wrist strap if I had to walk with him before he was old enough to understand to hold my hand when I asked him to :)

My avatar
evel-lin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby evel-lin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:36 am

We were planning on getting one of the backpack's but never got round to it. I taught Ez to always hold onto my hand or the buggy and if she won't I'll hold her arm and stand still until she decides to walk the way I want her to.

I do let her run off more than I would if she had a harness but only on wide pavements or parks. If there are cars around she comes back to hold hands

My avatar
poppysmum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

harness

Postby poppysmum » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 pm

I have always thought that the backpacks look great but never needed one so not tried yet.

Ollie has always been a very good boy and never needed reins or anything. We did try a wrist strap on holiday when he was about 18 months but he hated it with a vengeance...so we told him hold hands or buggy.....he has never been a problem since.

However........I can see me having to keep Poppy strapped in her buggy and never walking lol because at 10 months she is already TROUBLE lol and I can see her challenging me at every opportunity!! So I am sure I will get a chance to try every harness available :lol: :lol:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Thankfully Isabelle is at the stage where she can understant (with suitable demonstrations) that if she doesn't hold my hand on a busy street or runs off I will carry her... If she wants to walk she has to hold my hand...

I do have a set of reins and have used them a bit but they're worse than useless and you just end up with a toddler sat on the floor having a paddy because they can't go where they want to go... :?

My avatar
lilylover
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lilylover » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:11 am

I'm with steph on this one too. I am able to reason with lily that we have to hold hands when we cross the road or she goes in the pram instead of walking. I know it's a personal choice but have to say I cringe when I see parents using 'reins' on children. It seems so awful to me I don't think I could ever do it and I know that Lily would throw a bigger tantrum if I tried to use them.

Sam xx

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: harnesses

Postby jules070603 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 pm

We have a d0ggy harness reins thingy and its very cute. When we first used it th0ugh there really wasn't much p0int as he fell 0ver t00 much. I find them great n0w th0ugh. Zach likes t0 h0ld hands but I just like the security 0f the harness really and usually h0ld the rein in my hand with Zachs hand t00.

My avatar
Kybosh
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: harnesses

Postby Kybosh » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:20 pm

I've got one of the backpack reins, I find it great. Lucas does hold my hand and I hold the 'leash' in the other, which gives me peace of mind when we're near busy roads. He's been walking since 9 months and still tries to throw my hand off his, so I'd rather use reins than risk him escaping and running int traffic.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler