hf1

stopped sleeping through

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi again,

When we moved Kiara from moses basket to cot, we first put the moses basket in the cot for a week or so and then when we transfered her to the cot we made sure she was snug in her blanket (a bit like swaddling but not swaddling iykwim) and then we put her into a baby sleeping bag.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:37 pm

Thanks Gisele. I might give the moses basket a shot again, inside the cot, he still just fits, he already sleeps in a grobag. Might give swaddling a try.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 pm

0h, 0ne th0ught. If y0u think he feels exp0sed maybe try r0lling up a sheet and putting the r0ll al0ng his side. Might make him feel c0mf0rted?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Also I know a lot of people don't like them but do you have a cot bumper?

IKEA do a very cheap one that goes all the way round...

When Isabelle wakes regularly there are a couple of things that cause it:
a) hunger from a growth spurt
b) indigestion
c) being cold
d) soggy nappy (but doesn't have to be at leaking point)
e) changes in noise levels (e.g. car door banging outside sometimes wakes her)
f) light levels used to

And the list goes on :lol:

Could it be hunger? Will he drink a little more at bedtime?

Unfortunately if he's having a growth spurt combined with a cold (snuffle babe on the sleepsuit/grobag on the front and both shoulders works wonders!) then you might just be stuck with disturbed sleep for a few weeks but it will settle down again...

If he's struggling to breathe through his nose have you thought about giving him a small dose of something like Medised or Calpol night - they are paracetamol which (in addition to being a painkiller) stops the drippyness and an antihistamine which helps clear the nose too.
Side effect is it can make them drowsy too so a lot of unscrupulous parents use it to make their child sleep not realising that regular use can make the problem worse! Easy to do though... It works like a charm the first use I usually find...

We have some and find that when she's really struggling a dose of that, some snuffle babe and pillow under the matress (well it's permenantly there for us) helps.

When we moved Isabelle into the cot her sleep was so disturbed anyway due to reflux I have no idea if it made things worse!! :lol:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks Steph, I've started giving him calpol, have never seen the calpol night over here, will have to see if it's available...I know some medicines (e.g. beechams powders) aren't sold over here, so it might not be, hope so though.
We've also been using karvol and snufflebabe.

Eoin's taking over tonight, so will suggest everyone's ideas to him....knowing my luck Rhys will behave perfectly for him anyway :roll: :lol:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:..I know some medicines (e.g. beechams powders) aren't sold over here, so it might not be, hope so though.

I know people who have transported those sort of drugs across the boarder to relatives :D Seems to be some laws in the republic that stop them selling some vitamins and a few other bits and pieces.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:38 am

Hehe, well if I can't get it here then I may have to call on certain CNT friends :wink: I'll let you know.

Typically Rhys slept perfectly last night for Eoin, didn't wake until 7.30! Eoin slept on the sofa with Rhys in his beanbag which he normally naps in during the day and not a peep all night, well 2 little squeaks at 2 and 5 but not enough for Eoin to even have to settle him.
So it looks as though it's purely the new cot. I'm definitely going to add the final side to make him feel more enclosed. We have a bumper on the one side of it, so I might have to add one to the other side too. Hopefully it'll all work out

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:58 am

I know the feeling not being able to get certain drugs, my bags were full of all sorts, calpol night, cough medicines for the kids, LEMSIP (how can anywhere NOT sell Lemsip it is soooo good!!) :roll: :roll:

I think the bars on the side is a good idea, I have a tidy thing that has always hung on the side of Louis bed so he is blocked in a bit and couldn't see me lying in bed as easily!!!!! Now he is in Joshs room I've even added something else to the side so he is all enclosed and can't see Josh without standing up !!!

Wow can't believe sleeping in his beanbag made such a difference! Maybe more comfortable with his leg bars as well???

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:07 am

clothmama wrote:Maybe more comfortable with his leg bars as well???

Possibly, I didn't even think of that. I did try a rolled up blanket under his feet in the cot, that was recommended on a talipes forum if they have problems sleeping, it got me an extra hour one night but that was all. Eoin was thinking of putting the bean bag in the cot so that he can get used to the cot but be somewhere he feels safe too.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler