My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Anyone done attachment parenting?

Postby bubbaloo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi,
I am practising attachement parenting with my 6 wek old
BF, co-sleeping and sling wearing all day.
Did this work for you and which bit didnt.
Currently sleeping ok, every 2/3 hours feeding.
Certainly dont have to rock him for ages like I did DS1 into a hammock to sleep.
Moby wrap sling going Ok but he doesnt like it when I sit down!!!!

If you wore a sling... how did you get them to sleep/nap in the day?

R :bf:

My avatar
MaryMoon
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Anyone done attachment parenting?

Postby MaryMoon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi, I 'slung' ds3 from birth, in fact except at night time that was pretty much where he spent all his time. He would just sleep in the sling as and when he wanted to but I did find that there were times when I had to be standing with him but often because he was tired and I guess preferred the motion, once he was asleep I could sit down. Not much help probably sorry. :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:39 pm

We don't bed-share intentionally but if we happen to fall asleep while feeding at night that's fine :) The cot is right next to our bed though so she can reach out and touch me if she needs to but she likes her space - I'd have a cot that joined to the bed if I could...

I have and do sling both my girls but use a parent facing pram too - (and a stroller very occasionally for my eldest) as especially in this weather it isn't always appropriate (or safe at the moment!) to sling... Plus again Grace (as did Isabelle) likes her space - although recently she's enjoyed being slung in the house more...

I wouldn't say that breastfeeding is attachment parenting specifically - although it's clearly a very attached thing to do if that makes sense ;)

I think the main thing is parenting by instinct and not being prescriptive...

With Isabelle I mostly fed her to sleep in the day or rocked her in the pram... Or put her in the sling and 'jiggled'...
Grace has liked being put down and left alone from the start and shouts at us if we try and soothe her to sleep - she likes to shut everything out so gets cross when we try and help - put her down and often she'll just go straight to sleep! Two children so different...

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:44 pm

How many months did you sling them all day?

My avatar
MaryMoon
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby MaryMoon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:47 pm

I did for about 4 months but if you are following the continuum theory then it would be 6 months but personally I think that AP is more about doing what is right for you and your child. Even after 4 months I still used the sling lots in the day (especially if there were other people around so I didn't have to share my baby :wink: )

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 pm

I wouldn't say I AP but I did wear Ben all day every day from when he was born until he was about 3 months. He had reflux and was only happy if he was being held upright. Would only really go to sleep at night if being held upright as well which meant often trying to sleep in shifts.

I think from about 3 months his reflux was under control and he started to like sleeping on his own a bit more and we started to put him in the pram or cot for naps.

I agree with Steph - all babies are very different and need different things and so it is more about finding what works for them and you.

I still sling Ben as it is just the easiest way sometimes rather than having a buggy but that is more to do with ease than AP - he does like it though and often gets exciting when he sees me get the sling out :D

Return to Baby and Toddler