hf1

when should they be sitting unaided? or crawling ect?

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

when should they be sitting unaided? or crawling ect?

Postby angiepangie2809 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:02 pm

hi. ethans my second baby but had a big gap between my kids/ 11 and a half years to be precise. anyway i was wondering at what age as a general rule they shouyld be sitting unaided and crawling ect? am getting a little concerned as ethans 8 months old in a few days and hes still not sitting by himself and as he hates being on his front with a passion he wont be crawling anytime soon either. in fact cause he spends so little time laying on his back or belly to play he just looks realy uncomfortable on his front and screams blue murder within 30 seconds. ive started sitting on the floor with him between my legs or putting him between my legs and feet while i sit on the sofa so he can play like that and it does help, especialy if he leans forward to play with his toys cause i think his balance is better for him then but i am starting to think he is spending far too much time in his highchair or his babywalker instead of on the floor. hes bright as a button so not too concerned but i notice when i takje him to the mums and tots group that the other babies his age are either up and about crawling or nearly crawling or they are rolling all over the place and sitting (all be it a bit shakily by themselves)

any advice ladies?

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: when should they be sitting unaided? or crawling ect?

Postby vampiredreams » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Aoife has literally only just started to sit unaided and laying on her front happily....I would not worry about comparing other people's babies to yours, they all develop when they are ready :hug:

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 pm

All mine sat early latest was Rox at 19wks. The girls crawled at 8 months Ty was crawling at 10 months but mates wee boy refuses point blank to sit unaided until he was 14 months didn't crawl as he went straight to walking at 16 months, HV kept nagging mum etc but he is the most active 4yr old I know so I think they just all develop at their own time. :hug: as I know ow worked up my mate used to get.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Pippa was sitting unadied at 19 weeks and is trying to crawl, can go backwards a bit but not really forwards. A collegue's son is 1 in a week and his won't sit unadied and definatley won't crawl, babies all develop differently but he will get there so try not to worry about it too much, have been told by a few people that boys do tend to do things slightly later than girls as well :hug:
xx

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Kieren just started sitting last week and he has just turned 8 months :wink:

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi , i really wouldn`t worry. Conan was crawling at 8 months but refused to sit up at all until a couple of weeks ago. He was so wobbly and would stay upright for only a couple of seconds.
Even now when i try to sit him on the floor he refuses to bend in the middle and just arches his back.
He went for his HV check 6 wks ago and i pointed this out to her (he was 8.5 months at the time) and she did not seem to concerned but said to bring him back in 6-8wks if he was still refusing to sit up un-aided.
Well , since about a week before xmas things have improved and he will now sit for a short time but still would rather crawl on his belly.
They all get there in the end, it sounds like if he`s a bright boy he`s just concentrating on something else at the moment.

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 pm

This link might be helpful :)

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/milestonesfirst6months/ it gives you a list of milestones and ages. Bare in mind though they are all so different.

Sandy will only tolerate 4-5mins on his tummy and is showing no signs of rolling over or anything yet.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Like everyone else has said I wouldn't worry too much. Max only started sitting up at around 9 months and at nearly 12 months he still isn't fully crawling. He started commando crawling about a few weeks ago and he's happy doing that as we have laminate. He also only recently started pushing himself up into a sitting position. He is still yet to pull himself up or show any interest in cruising/walking. Like you I was slightly concerned as other babies at his playgroups, who were months younger than him, were all sitting, crawling and moving around.

One baby was walking at 7 months :shock: But then he was a HUGE bubs, weighing in at 23lbs and was so sturdy looking. :giggle:

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Although at this age there's nothing wrong with his development - there's no rules about milestones ;) my paediatrician friend was telling me that the key medical milestone is bearing weight on their legs before 18 months. If they won't stand at 18 months then there are tests that they will run.

My boys did some things early and some things late. It's hard not to compare.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler