hf1

Anyone tried Elimination Training with a baby?

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Anyone tried Elimination Training with a baby?

Postby bubbaloo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 am

I am going to give it a bit of a go... anyone got any experience? :D

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Anyone tried Elimination Training with a baby?

Postby Pinchette » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:23 am

None whatsoever. Good luck with it.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Im gonna sound really dum but what is elimination training??

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:31 pm

red_dwarf wrote:Im gonna sound really dum but what is elimination training??

thats what i was just going to ask :giggle:

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:32 pm

I was told by my mum that she did this with me, she used to ut me on the potty and whistle, she swears blind that I was potty trained by 9 months- I was skeptical but have just read something on ivillage about it and can see the logic, I think it is fine if you have the time to do it and obviously nights be more difficult. I think this approach would only really work if you are a SAHM, I can't see nursery being into doing this, which would undo all your hard work! Give it a go if you think it would suit you though. I can try to find out more from my mum if you want, although she did it nearly 30 years ago- so her memory might not be too clear! :giggle:
Good luck with it though!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:18 pm

DH's Dad was pt at 9 months using EC

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:54 pm

I did it to a certain extent with DD from 9 months but I didnt do whole hog. I put her on potty after meals and that was very successful and she did majority of poos on potty and was very happy. I didnt get her to point where she communicated every wee though. I do really like the theory of helping babies from beginning to not poo/wee in nappies so that you are consistent from early age (and not just turn round at potty traning and say then). There are a lot of resources out there under EC (Elimination communication) title to help.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:07 pm

I totally understand and believe the theory and knew someone who did it from birth who cannot tell you what age their lo pt'd as they never wore a nappy iyswim. I just don't have the time or patience and go out to work so it would never have worked for us. But good luck, hope you have success.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:21 pm

A friend of mine does it, although she's on her second baby and now does it kind of part time - he's been out of nappies at home from being a few months old and they'd put him on the potty when they saw the signs of him needing to go, but he's in nappies when out and about. In saying that I haven't seen them for a while, he's the same age as Finn so may well be out of nappies totally in daytime now. She had more time to devote to her ds1 and he was out of nappies during the day by about 14 months I think, and going about three hours between wees so had good bladder control. She puts their success with ds1 down to spending a couple of months with her parents, her mum was doing cooking, cleaning, etc, so my friend had plenty of time to look out for toilet cues.

There's lots of info on various forums, and, as I've just discovered, on YouTube, including a 5-day old using a potty :shock: Ok, a 5-day old being held over a potty, but it's still pretty impressive!

Good luck :D

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler