hf1

Sensory Food Aversion & autism

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Sensory Food Aversion & autism

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:37 am

Does anyones child have sensory food aversion? Or have autism with food-related issues? Im really beginning to wonder if Jaden has one or both :-? :cry: Im going to take him to the doctors next week. Enough is enough. :(

Ive been watching videos on youtube of children with autism, and Jaden is sooooo like a lot of them! It would explain a lot.
Makes me scared though, coz i know nothing about it at all.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Sensory Food Aversion & autism

Postby beck » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:38 am

sorry no advice but just wanted to give :hug: :hug: going to the Dr sounds like a good idea.

Maybe if you PM Alicia (mumofemily) as her daughter has just been diagnosed.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:19 am

thanks hun :hug:

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:38 am

:hug: try not to worry too much until you have a diagnostic.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 am

Food aversion can be part of it due to texture, colour or even shape! It could be just that he is going through and incredibly picky and fussy phase? :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 am

dont think so hun, coz he's been like it since he was weaned :-? I didnt know about BLW then, and he was raised on pureed foods. Once he had textures he couldnt stand food :roll:

My avatar
greenferret
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby greenferret » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

If you're worried hon then definitely speak to your GP or health visitor. I'm pretty sure that he could have issues around eating that have nothing to do with Autism and I'm sure they would be able to provide you with advice, perhaps even a dietician or speech therapist could help :-? . However if you have any questions about ASD I'd be happy to chat about them :) . Try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know :hug:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:38 am

Zach went through some very strange food aversions and ended up not eating anything but white foods for two years. He would only eat plain pasta, plain potatoes, bread on its own and crisps and sometimes banana.

He would get very upset if anything touched, if anything had a speck of another type of food on it or on his plate/spoon. If you cut his toast/bread he would get into a massive tantrum. He would also have a complete breakdown if his hands got dirty. Same breakdown if you tried to put anything new on his plate. Basically meal times were the most stressful part of the day.

Was a complete nightmare and the only help I received was that I should starve him until he gave in and ate what I wanted - I could see this was more than just a battle of wills though so I wasn't happy with this.

I did a fair bit of reading up on it and I think it was the book called 'Meals without Tears' that really helped me to stop all the stressing at meal times and eventually after about 3 months he started by trying a few new things and now a year on he tries everything on offer though he is still a bit finicky about things touching and sauces but we've come a damn long way!

Just wanted to let you know that some children do go through some very strong food aversions and not have any further conditions.

I would recommend reading the Meals without Tears book and hope you get some better advice than I did from your health professionals. xx

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:44 pm

fluffycabbage wrote:dont think so hun, coz he's been like it since he was weaned :-? I didnt know about BLW then, and he was raised on pureed foods. Once he had textures he couldnt stand food :roll:

:shock: He may have been the same even if you had know about BLW then hun. I would try to get a referal to a dietician or something similar from the GP and see if that helps. Also say about ASD if you are concerned that is a factor.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler