hf1

Teething??

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Teething??

Postby sarahbiles » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:34 pm

Well i've only been here for 5 minutes and already i'm asking for help lol.

Lexi is 8 months and as yet has no teeth at all. I've been saying she's been teething for ages but I have no really proof of this.

I've got a 7 year old son whose first tooth popped through at 5 1/2 months with no trouble really so I can't really compare to that as it was soo long ago I can't really remember.

Anyway 2 weeks ago Lexi had a rash on the front of her legs and forearms and also on her cheeks but noticeable when her cheeks were red - again I put the red cheeks down to teething. Anyway the docs don't know what the rash is - its faded but not gone completely yet - they've said its not contagious or a viral infection or anything to worry about - i asked if it could be related to teething they said not.

For the past few days Lexi has changed slightly - waking earlier in the morning for her food, whining (i hate that word but only one I can think of) she's normally such a quiet baby whose vocal but playful with it but this is a bit different - i don't know what she wants and neither does she. She's also pooing lots and having bad nappies - i can't see any obvious signs of teething in her gums but to be honest I can't remember what I'm looking for.

I'm just after a bit of advice really - does this sound like it could be teething - anyone else had an experience with an unexplained rash???

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:45 pm

i am also someone who tries to blame most things on teething!!!! if i dont know what it is then surely it must be teething!!
so i would be inclined to agree with you, that if its nothing serious according to the dr, just treat as teething cos that wont do either of you any harm and it can be nice to have a reason for a change.

my kids when teething...well, taneli was never much bothered, he had bright red cheeks and would chew on everything but it didn't seem to interupt his sleep or other routines. Boo it seems to bother much more. Scary nappies, acidic wee (and therefore inevitable rash), bright red cheeks (sometimes even swollen if he has chewed the inside of his cheeks) snotty nose, doesn't eat much. very very whingy and wont settle nicely for bed (usually still sleeps thru, if not then i assume ear infection!) and also chews and chews on his hands and his muslin or his sleeve or socks etc!

as for the rash...have you changed laundry detergent? or softener? might be worth doing an extra rinse after washing as you do with nappies to see if that could be it...othr than that i have no ideas, but if the docs arn't worried then you have got to try not to be either.

not much help am i!!!

hope someone else has solutions or ideas
Shevi

ps. bumps or hard bloobys on gums its what your looking for, and Boo has been known to get a HUGE blister before a bump or any other sign of teeth appears. it looks really painful and ulcery like...bonjela didn't make much difference, calpol made a little, and a bit of honey rubbed on, may not have helped, but did make him happy!!! (he was over a year old)
Last edited by Shevi on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Well it could be teething but there are a few other suspects...

Milk - if you're breastfeeding has something you eat changed? Also as you're at 21weeks supply dips alot at this stage...

Food - has she eaten anything new recently? Is she eating more - growth spurt?

How is she after a spoonful of calpol, less "wingey"?

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sarahbiles » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks both for replies. I haven't changed my washing powder - i did think it could be this but alas nothing has changed there so it can't be that. Not bf anymore she has been on formula for ages so i don't think its that. She is eating lots of different foods now but when she had the rash appear she hadn't had anything new over the previous 24 hours. I gave her some teething granuales last night which did seem to settle her a little. Keep peeking in her mouth but still no sign of anything coming through. I guess the rash will just be one of those little mysterys eh and as for the whineing - well i'll put it down to teething then :D

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:49 pm

for icky poo's i find probiotic powder (i add it to the formula) to be quite helpful...also very good at aid the getting rid of thrush...and if the yakult adverts are to be believed then after 14 days you may have an entirely different baby on your hands!!!

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sarahbiles » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:44 pm

LOL Shevi - I might have to try that.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:51 pm

shevi - what's probiotic powder? where can I get it??

the girls both have icky pos at the moment (i put it down to teething too!! A still has no teeth at all at 10 months and La has a few more sprouting!)

jan x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:58 pm

I would be inclined to say it sounds like teething. I think the teeth move around alot under the surface and once they pop through and are visible Charlotte settles down so even though you can't see teeth they could be bothering her.

Charlotte definately has horrid poos, sometimes has a temp and is generally unsettled when teething and tbh the health professionals always say that teething doesn't do these things but there is too much of a pattern for it not to be her teeth :roll:

My avatar
sjb2711
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sjb2711 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi there!

Funnily enough my youngest had a strange rash a couple of weeks ago. It was on his tummy and arms, started as raised spots and then went more blotchy. I wondered whether it was due to eating flapjack that had sesame seeds in. Tried him again with some more flapjack yesterday but no rash - very odd :? . He also had his first couple of teeth come through when he turned 8 months old (my elder son had his first tooth at 6 and a half months).

Anyway my doctor saw his rash and wasn't too bothered so if it's not causing him any discomfort then hopefully it will disappear as quickly as it came?

Sarah

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler