My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Not babbling

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:58 pm

victoriaw wrote:
becky1978 wrote:Yay to bas! :wine: :wine:

Archie doesn't have any teeth either and he says mumu dada and rara (Cameron we think) so I wouldn't think it's related to teeth at all :hug:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, the reason I was wondering that is that I'd heard that speech development is very related to development of jaw and chewing solid foods, so hence made the connection to teeth... but having said that, Antonia does a pretty good job of chewing with her gums anyway.

Am still going to talk to paed about it next week, but was v relieved to hear a bit of progress today :)

:wine: :wine: Do encourage her by echoing what she says back to her and (sorry if this is what you're doing already!) getting down on her level and playing tickle games with her and suchlike talking to her lots so she can see your face - not just nappy change time... Singing songs together and reading books also good for preliminary language developement :)

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Velvetsteph wrote: :wine: :wine: Do encourage her by echoing what she says back to her and (sorry if this is what you're doing already!) getting down on her level and playing tickle games with her and suchlike talking to her lots so she can see your face - not just nappy change time... Singing songs together and reading books also good for preliminary language developement :)

Yep, doing loads of that, reading lots to her too.
She hasn't been v chatty today, she's feeling so poorly with her ear infection. Saw doctor today and she's on antibiotics. She agreed it's a possibility that she has glue ear so I have to take her back in 2 weeks when the infection has cleared so she can have a good look in her ears. Also seeing paediatrician on Weds next week (about her weight) so I'll talk to her about it too.

Am bit gutted about the ear infection and antibiotics as it's affected her eating and weight gain no doubt, she's been doing so well on that front (I think - she hasn't been weighed for about 5 weeks).

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm

victoriaw wrote:
becky1978 wrote:Yay to bas! :wine: :wine:

Archie doesn't have any teeth either and he says mumu dada and rara (Cameron we think) so I wouldn't think it's related to teeth at all :hug:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, the reason I was wondering that is that I'd heard that speech development is very related to development of jaw and chewing solid foods, so hence made the connection to teeth... but having said that, Antonia does a pretty good job of chewing with her gums anyway.

Am still going to talk to paed about it next week, but was v relieved to hear a bit of progress today :)

I just learnt this too - amazing really. With Jaden being a picky eater and not chewing his foods a lot (if it is chewable :roll: ) i do wonder if thats the case with him too.
We have an appt on monday with the speech therapist, so that'll be insteresting!

Yay to bas! :wine: :wine:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:17 am

If they've got painful ears then they won't want to chew either which can make them VERY fussy eaters - it's all linked in I think...

When Isabelle's ears are worse i.e. her hearing gets worse then her eating usually suffers too...

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Hope her ear infection clears up soon and that the doc can get a good look at her ears at your next appointment.

Connor wasn't much of a babbler. I've just checked his red book and in the 'finding out about words' bit it suggests 9 months ish for saying 'mama' to everything. I've written here that he was saying 'baba' to everything at 9 months, and my next note is that his first recognisable word was 'mama' at 15 months. Despite the late start he now has a very good vocabulary, although his pronunciation is sometimes a bit off still. I just think chatting just wasn't his thing! No idea about Finn as I don't think I've written a single milestone in his red book :oops:

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Well, we saw the paeditrician today and I mentioned about the health visitor's concern about her not babbling. She had been 'chatting' away in her vowel sound way and the paed was quite surprised that I'd brought that up and said she sounded 'completely appropriate for her age' :D and the health visitor was probably being a bit overcautious.
She's referring her for a hearing test anyway, but it has put my mind at rest (a bit).

Not so good on the weight, only 3 oz in 5 weeks. But I think she had put on quite a bit of weight and lost it all again last week when she was ill and not eating.

And being referred to geneticist to check for any other reason to explain her small size....

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm so pleased you had this reassurance from the paed today :D . A bit of a shame about the slow weight gain, but it's still moving in the right direction. Fingers crossed the hearing test comes back clear, I'm sure it will.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler