hf1

natural aids for ezcema?

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: natural aids for ezcema?

Postby JanX » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 pm

oats, in a pop sock, under the water whilst it's running for the bath. Then use said pop sock full of soggy oats like a wash cloth!

Whipped shea butter is supposed to be good for excema too (can't comment from personal experience though as we are fortunate enough not to have it here)

Jan x

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:05 pm

at work we always said to new mums to use olive oil on dry skinned newborns, baby moisurisers usually are full of chemicals and the same stuff in adult products, we use olive oil for dry skin and it really works for us, also when i rush shaved my legs i got a really bad stingy rash, i was in agony in bed so i got up and put some bio oil on it, this stung a lot so i tried olive oil and it instantly stopped stinging and was gone by the morning which is weird for shaving rash.
maybe you could give it a go on the ezcema just on a little patch
i also found this on google http://www.healthy-skin-guide.com/olive ... czema.html
i hope it gets better i remember having this when i was little
good luck

i also really agree with frances comment about the baths, bathing everyday washes away the natural moisturising oils that our bodies produce which often means dry skin and other problems, my husband used to shower everyday (this drove me mad) he had dry skin and when he stopped the everyday showering (after my nagging) it went away and has never been back, his niece has a bath everyday and she has bad ezcema :( also i think certain allergens in foods and the environment can make it worse, i think the things in foods that can make asthma worse may link with ezcema
Last edited by smilinglou on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 pm

unrefined shea butter - quite cheap and works wonders on eczema - used it on Isabelle very successfully

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:59 pm

We use the sheabutter from sheabutter cottage, as pure as it comes. We also trying homeopathy which cured DS1 now working on DS2. x

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:40 pm

The oats are fab and you can get dried marigold petals easily online, try adding a few to the mix, rub liberally all over the skin while squeezing out the goo, it is quite slippery though so watch out.
i will second the dream cream, it may be pricey but goes far, although if you want an even more natural one try sos cream by barefoot botanicals.
Chickweed cream is cheap and encourages skin healing, adding oils into bubba's diet will help too, whether through you if youy bf or in their food if on solids. Try UDOS oil in porridge or their dinner, obviously depends what you feed them, hemp oil in food is tasty, nice and nutty!-yummy. I would avoid fish oils at this point until you know what the triggers are, dairy is oftena culprit so you could try switching to goats or soy milk.
Hope that helps. A xx

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:45 pm

hi its not a natural aid but after trying everything for Caleb my doctor gave me a prescription for aveeno cream and it has worked wonders on him and he doesnt have any at the moment and is all smooth again :)

http://www.aveeno.co.uk/products/intens ... in-range/1

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 pm

An alternative to olive oil is grapeseed oil, cheap, found in the same place in the supermarket, but it's less viscous and smelly than olive oil.

If you get marigold petals, make sure you get Calendula Officinalis as other marigolds won't have the same effect.

Homeopathy all the way here though, worked a treat for us.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:55 pm

ladybird wrote:An alternative to olive oil is grapeseed oil, cheap, found in the same place in the supermarket, but it's less viscous and smelly than olive oil.

Feels less greasy too - we love it and it's what is usually used for baby massage...

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler