hf1

Help needed RE grabbing

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Help needed RE grabbing

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11 am

Austin is currently grabbing everything including my boob during feeds (and I mean getting big handfuls of boob :oops: ) and my glasses, now I know most of it is just curiosity but he's leaing big red marks on me and it hurts and if he breaks my specs I can't afford anymore. I've tried saying no in a firm voice and removing the object/ his hand but it doesn't seem to be working, help please?

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Help needed RE grabbing

Postby ebonina » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:16 am

Last edited by ebonina on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 am

Take his hand and show him what gentle means all the while repeating gentle hands are kind hands - works from a very early age so not too early to start this....

Grace is a bit grabby too - for my face I just move my face out of the way or turn away so she can't do it each time - she soon looses interest ;)

What about contacts?

Bascially just don't make them available really...

I know what you mean about handfulls of boob but you have to stay calm and gently remove his hand showing him what gentle means...

Hope that helps a little

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 am

Umm glasses are a problem. You can't just take them off and I don't want to get contacts personally. Mine are slightly bent and twisted. :-? She still does it and put them on herself, but is cute where she brings them to me first thing in the morning.

The grabbing Ella grew out of. One week I just noticed she'd stopped when she was about 18-20 months, so well after she stopped feeding at 15 months. I used to just brush her hand away with my fingers and she'd remove it. Think it's just a squidgy comfort thing so it never really bothered me all that much. They change their grabbing patterns as they develop though. Ella was a hair grabber when she was about 6 months old and I had mine shopped really short, but it's long again now. Their natural instinct is to grab and cling on.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Take his hand and show him what gentle means all the while repeating gentle hands are kind hands - works from a very early age so not too early to start this....

WSS, we are doing this with Kieren at the moment...he is very grabby (faces, hair, glasses etc) I dont wear glasses so thats not a prob but hubby does when watching tv etc and Kieren is like a magnet to them :-? We just gently take his hand away and tell him no... If i say NO sternly to megan for whatever reason then Kieren laughs hysterically :roll: So i dont think that would work with him either...

He grabs faces alot and it really hurts (i dont have the boob problem becuase im not BF'ing but i can see how that might hurt!!) I get his hand and stoke my face with it and repeat 'gently, nicely, good boy etc etc' Its pretty repetitive but it works eventually...well it did with megan :)
:giggle: i just read that back and it ever so slightly looks like im suggesting that you get him to stroke your boobs :oops: Obviously im not...i wouldnt know how to handle that one but that strategy works with faces for us :oops: :giggle:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 pm

megansmummy wrote: :giggle: i just read that back and it ever so slightly looks like im suggesting that you get him to stroke your boobs :oops: Obviously im not...i wouldnt know how to handle that one but that strategy works with faces for us :oops: :giggle:

:giggle: I knew what you meant Tory, I have been doing the stroking but with the dog and the cats, never even occured to me that maybe we should be doing it too IYKWIM :oops:
tyhanks fir all the help

Return to Baby and Toddler