hf1

Breastfeeding and dummy

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Breastfeeding and dummy

Postby smilinglou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 pm

:bf: I've been breastfeeding really well since Lily was born a month ago, she has been really difficult with what I think is colic (she cries often for no reason and the GP and health visitor noticed it and said the terrible 'c' word), I don't want to upset the breastfeeding by giving an artificial teat but am considering giving her a dummy for the desperate times, we also have got some breastflow bottles coming which we may try giving expressed milk once in the night so I can get more than 2 hours sleep at the beginning of the night :shock: did anyone breastfeed and give a dummy, did it effect your milk supply or the way your baby latched on, I seem to have gallons of milk lol which I think will help our cause and I get the tingly let down reflex which apparently means it's established (health visitor).
I know all about the risks of artificial teats before BF is established and also what formula milk does and has in it as I worked in a maternity unit before she was born so I really don't want to mess it up but I was wondering about peoples experiences and if it worked for them when BF although I know they're all so different and different things work for different people.

Any info or advise would be great

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Breastfeeding and dummy

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Personally I do not believe small babies cry for no reason :-?

They cry for all sorts of reasons!
Pain, anxiety, overstimulation, fear, lonelyness, wet/dirty nappy, too hot, too cold, hungry, wind etc etc...

That said it is very hard to comfort a 'colicy' baby and I was desperate to try and find a 'cure' with both my girls...

Dummies don't really help with colic in my experience - they help when baby just wants to suck and doesn't actually want to feed but for us they didn't help with colic.

My experience is that dummies DO affect the latch when introduced this early - however that has not put a stop to our breastfeeding relationship it just meant I had to work much harder at the latch and treat my very sore nipples...

Dummies are not the great bad evil they're made out to be but also neither are they ideal...

Some babies plain won't take to them...

I guess try it and see if it helps... I've found that my girls will only take the big fat round shaped ones (called cherry dummies) not the orthodontic or flat or weird shaped semi-rigid ones...

Sounds like you're doing REALLY well with breastfeeding though...

Have you considered using a sling when Lily is colicy? Something like Sorry if you already do this and I'm preaching to the converted... The close baby carrier is recommended as great for newborns.

Also please consider learning to feed lying down so you can co-sleep through the first few months where she needs to feed frequently in the night... It makes for a much more rested Mummy!

:hug: :hug: and keep up the good work...

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:09 pm

you're right! they dont cry for no reason but sometimes she sucks and doesnt seem hungry although sometimes she doesnt seem hungry then latches on :| maybe im answerin my own question here lol. i dont think we're hugely desperate just yet to be honest but the bottle of expressed milk would really help. iv tried feeding lying down, it works but i couldnt sleep like that, its a bit uncomfortable and i cant sleep with her in the bed i think im too nervous about her getting covered up or under the pillows etc etc etc
we have a freedom sling, but trying to get those things working is next to impossible lol, will try the carrier we got as a present maybe that will help, although often when we hold her she still screams but if we put her up over our shoulder she stops sometimes, it's strange. i've been quite stressed too so maybe that doesnt help things :(
i shouldnt moan though the breastfeeding has gone brilliantly which always helps things

My avatar
moonlily
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby moonlily » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:12 pm

I agree totally with everything steph said

the co sleeping thing is fab for tired mommys ive done it with all three of my babies and woulnt consider not doing it. Ive always joked that i breastfeed cos im lazy and wont get up in the night! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: altho whenever i tell people at toddler groups they look at me like ive just told them i stick pins in her!! :hohoho:

as for dummies you may find that lo wont have one - none of mine would accept one

youre doing brilliantly tho and sounds like youve got a fab milk supply so keep it up and keep coming on here for support and you wont feel like youre in it alone :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:18 pm

smilinglou wrote:you're right! they dont cry for no reason but sometimes she sucks and doesnt seem hungry although sometimes she doesnt seem hungry then latches on :| maybe im answerin my own question here lol. i dont think we're hugely desperate just yet to be honest but the bottle of expressed milk would really help. iv tried feeding lying down, it works but i couldnt sleep like that, its a bit uncomfortable and i cant sleep with her in the bed i think im too nervous about her getting covered up or under the pillows etc etc etc
we have a freedom sling, but trying to get those things working is next to impossible lol, will try the carrier we got as a present maybe that will help, although often when we hold her she still screams but if we put her up over our shoulder she stops sometimes, it's strange. i've been quite stressed too so maybe that doesnt help things :(
i shouldnt moan though the breastfeeding has gone brilliantly which always helps things

I completely understand that - I was like that to start with but then I found myself dropping off while feeding her sitting upright and figured if I ditched the pillows for lying down feeds and put the duvet to my waist she'd be safe and at least if I dropped off she'd be safe still rather than me risking dropping her!!
So while you do the night feed ditch the pillow and grab it back once she's back in her bed if you don't want to co-sleep...
Make sure the duvet is far enough down the bed that she won't go under it (so I keep it round my waist/hips and use cotton baby blankets for my top half or wear a thicker top)

I agree it's uncomfortable too to start with - but it gets easier with time especially as she'll learn to latch herself on easier...
At least if nothing else you're lying down for the feeds ;)

And don't worry - being stressed with a new baby is normal ;) :hug: it's hard not to be! :hug: :hug:

Oh and yes if it's a freedom ring sling then they are hard to get the hang of - whereabouts in the country are you? You could benefit massively from someone in person to help you like a local slingmeet (or even your nearest friendly CNT-er!)

Singing - rocking - shhhhing all help (shhhhing is white noise) and gently patting her bum should all help...
Back patting should be discouraged as it can aggravate colicyness/wind/reflux but done gently should be ok...

And just remember - it will pass :hug: :hug:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Ella BF and had a dummy as soon as we got her home. She knew the difference and it didn't affect her BFing. That's not necessarily the same for all LOs though and if you can do without one it's probably better to. It's a really personal choice. If it's really colic I doubt a dummy would help very much though.

We co-slept and still do partially. It was DH who was nervous and wouldn't allow it at first so I didn't push it too hard, but I was more nervous about falling asleep sitting with her in my arms and dropping her. I just slept with the two of us under a fleece blanket so that it was really light weight. You need to feel at ease and comfortable doing so though. The main danger with co-sleeping is if you're drunk, smoke or under the influence. It actually reduces the chances of SIDs and research has shown it can help regulate LOs heartbeat and breathing.

Just like Steph says though, I wore a long sleeved top and light cardi in the winter, with a tank vest underneath, so to feed I just had to lift top up and vest down so was perfectly warm with blanket to my waist. LO was well away from the pillows as would sleep basically with her head level to my chest.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 pm

:hug: :hug:! I agree with PPs have said!

Ewan was VERY colicky when he was little - a cycle set up by a tongue tie that wasn't diagnosed straight away. Even now he is a very windy little boy! Infacol did work for us, but I know doesn't for many babies. Putting her up on your shoulder puts pressure on the tummy which can help ease the discomfort for a windy baby. I found our wrap sling invaluable for when he was crying and we had been through the list and eliminated all other causes. Does she draw her legs up when she cries? I found tummy massage and leg cycling helped move the trapped wind on when he did this.

I was very nervous about co sleeping early on for the same reasons as you but by 4 weeks I was so desperate we tried it and it was a revelation - we all got a lot more sleep (and we still co sleep some of the time, especially when Ewan is unwell and waking more often at night)! Feeding lying down also gets easier as LO gets bigger. Try putting a pillow behind your back so you are supported in position. As the others have said, you can always dress really warmly for bed so you can keep the blankets lower on your body - I often wore my dressing gown to bed over a front opening nightie with pj bottoms and warm socks - kept me warm and allowed quick easy access for :bf:

HTH! :hug: :hug:

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:49 pm

she does bring her legs up to her tummy and her hands are in fists, but not always sometimes she just waves her hands around and does a sort of cycle leg movement poor thing.
this co sleeping idea sounds good i do worry about the pillows, we may try it tonight, i do sometimes feel myself drifting when i feed upright and it is SO uncomfortable (why is that ?!)
with the wearing of extra clothes thing how did you cope with having to wear breastpads in bed? boobs dont like to stay in the place where the pads are lol this is a real pain in the bum when trying to get comfortable even with night bras.
we live in clacton, a really closed of coastal town in essex :roll: we wouldnt have groups to help with the sling here
the shhhing really works, she stops crying for a few seconds lol, thats interestng about not patting her back though, i do that when i wind her :(
lots of ideas to try though!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:53 pm

TBH I never wore breast pads (or a bra in bed) :oops: I just kept a spare nightie by the bed and changed if needed. Bras and breastpads just kept me awake as they were so uncomfortable at night.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler