Breastfeeding and dummy

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Breastfeeding and dummy

Postby nappynutter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:46 pm

northernruth wrote:
nappynutter wrote:Dummies have a negative impact on breastfeeding (as well as causing other problems).

That's a slap to anyone who has used one, and it is a very "absolutist" position, when in fact many women use a dummy and breastfeed their LOs

It's the line taken by the WHO and many governments. If a baby is sucking on a dummy then they are not being comforted by breastfeeding. Yes, you can combine both, but the dummy is detrimental to the breastfeeding relationship. Research shows that breastfed babies that use a dummy are likely to wean earlier, either due to milk supply problems or because their desire to suck is being met by the dummy.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:32 pm

nappynutter wrote: Research shows that breastfed babies that use a dummy are likely to wean earlier, either due to milk supply problems or because their desire to suck is being met by the dummy.

That should read "some of the research shows"...........as with all of these things, there is conflicting advice and different results from different studies

I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm not a scientist and have only my own experience to go on. But the original poster asked for ppls individual experiences and that's what I was giving.

My point is that we are all offering our opinions, and should be able to do so without someone tellingus we're wrong and citing the world health organisation at us :-?

That's what I meant about being slapped down

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I was asked to provide further information by another poster...

I'm surprised that you feel intimated by a different point of view. Surely if you are sure of your decision, you have no need to feel slapped down by my opinion.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:49 pm

I don't feel intimidated..........I just don't think you realise how you come across :wink:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm perfectly aware of my posting style. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. :wink:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Nice!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:21 pm

Actually I believe a dummy can be extremely beneficial to a breastfeeding relationship... For some mothers it can make the difference between being at the end of their tether and believeing their baby is not satisfied with their milk (because they want to be latched on 24/7) to letting baby have some 'sucky' time while Mum can have some time to herself.

Yes in an ideal world we'd all be 100% attached parents but that doesn't work for everyone and the sanity saver side to dummies should not be dismissed lightly - it has made the difference for many a Mum espeically those with a refluxy baby who needs to suck for comfort but sucking at the boob means milk which aggravates the reflux if it's too soon after baby last fed.

So please - do not dismiss dummies lightly.

And yes I did ask for more information but there is no need to be rude (and yes you are being rude now) - that may indeed be your posting style but if you take that stance then you need to be aware that taking a seemingly millitant attitude actually means other mums are far less likely to take your potentially helpful advice and instead feel made to feel small and less likely to ask for help in future.
Thankyou for posting the links I shall go have a read later - it is good to be aware of all sides of the argument before you make a personal decision and as I'm sure you're aware a lot of things are not black and white when it comes to parenting - perhaps they are for you but that's your personal lifestyle choice and not necessarily everyone elses.

The kind of attitude that says 'if you don't like how I speak then don't listen to me' sucks quite frankly and isn't welcome here in MY opinion. (I stress this isn't necessarily everyone's opinion) this is a very friendly and welcoming forum so please help to keep it that way.

Life would be very boring if we all thought the same way ;)

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Mmmmm, I have had 2 sucky babies. Luckily they both discovered their thumbs early on, the first thing Ruth did when she was born was stick her thumb in. Then she forgot about it and had hysterics after latching on because she didn't want milk she just wanted to suck. So if she hadn't found her thumb again I would have seriously considered using a dummy even though she was EBF. I know I have sidetracked, but there is a possibility that a dummy wouldn't be needed anyway.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Actually I believe a dummy can be extremely beneficial to a breastfeeding relationship... For some mothers it can make the difference between being at the end of their tether and believeing their baby is not satisfied with their milk (because they want to be latched on 24/7) to letting baby have some 'sucky' time while Mum can have some time to herself.

Yes in an ideal world we'd all be 100% attached parents but that doesn't work for everyone and the sanity saver side to dummies should not be dismissed lightly - it has made the difference for many a Mum espeically those with a refluxy baby who needs to suck for comfort but sucking at the boob means milk which aggravates the reflux if it's too soon after baby last fed.

So please - do not dismiss dummies lightly.

And yes I did ask for more information but there is no need to be rude (and yes you are being rude now) - that may indeed be your posting style but if you take that stance then you need to be aware that taking a seemingly millitant attitude actually means other mums are far less likely to take your potentially helpful advice and instead feel made to feel small and less likely to ask for help in future.
Thankyou for posting the links I shall go have a read later - it is good to be aware of all sides of the argument before you make a personal decision and as I'm sure you're aware a lot of things are not black and white when it comes to parenting - perhaps they are for you but that's your personal lifestyle choice and not necessarily everyone elses.

The kind of attitude that says 'if you don't like how I speak then don't listen to me' sucks quite frankly and isn't welcome here in MY opinion. (I stress this isn't necessarily everyone's opinion) this is a very friendly and welcoming forum so please help to keep it that way.

Life would be very boring if we all thought the same way ;)

Exactly WSS. I couldn't have put it better typing on my phone :wink:

And I have to say that I disagree that it stops babies from wanting to use the breast as comfort. My baby still knows where her favourite comfort lies :widesmile: especially during weeks like this one when her dummy is hurting her teething gums :( and will be weaned off her dummy well before she's weaned from the breast :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler