hf1

... The NO word...

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

... The NO word...

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Dex being my first I just want some opinions, have recently learning to crawl and now getting into everything - there are a few places ie like the TV stand that I can only baby proof to a certain degree and don't want him reaching through and grabbing wires ( he loves wires he hunts them down.)

I have taken to saying no :crossbaby: ... he stops looks at me sticks out his bottom lip..... then grins and does it again, at which point he gets another no and I move him away....cue tears from the child x

- Is he too young to understand this.....???

:-?

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: ... The NO word...

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:18 pm

:hohoho: :hohoho: Oscar is the same, he finds it very amusing. Looking forward to hearing responses.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19 pm

I dont think its too early to start getting him used to NO and repeating what it means time and time again by saying it and moving him away but tbh it will be a fair while before he understands :-? And to make matters even worse...Megan is 3 and still pretends not to know what NO means :roll:

So Yes i think he is a little too young to understand and move away when you tell him no but i dont think its to young to start...with babies/children its a HUGE amount of repitition :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 pm

There is only one thing I use the word NO for with Grace and that is plugs/sockets...

TBH it's more the tone of voice and removal and plonking firmly on her bum away from it that she understands rather than the word as such but she's learning to associate it with what it means...

Generally though at this age they don't understand...

They're not naughty at this age just curious so there's no point in using the word as you'd end up using it all the time and they'll just laugh at you and you'll be sick of the word before he's two :giggle:

LilMrsAverage wrote:I have taken to saying no :crossbaby: ... he stops looks at me sticks out his bottom lip..... then grins and does it again, at which point he gets another no and I move him away....cue tears from the child x

- Is he too young to understand this.....???

:-?
I wouldn't just say no - I'd do the actions a the same time...
Even with Isabelle who will be 4 in April actions speak louder than words and she's WAY more likely to take notice of me if I remove her from the situation - just saying no doesn't often have any effect :roll:

So perhaps don't even bother saying it :hohoho: sorry not much help am I! :hohoho:

Honestly though distraction is the best bet - and don't leave him alone in the room ;) If you need to get chores done and can't stop him fiddling then pop him in the sling...

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:35 pm

its not even when hes alone lol - I dont leave him we'll be playing he spot one and take off... :giggle:

far too much like his father..... he also can spot anything technical or that he shouldn't touch..... my labour room was like a play pen for him :roll:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 pm

What about saying stop instead of no. It helps to say no as little as possible, because toddlers go through a stage of saying nothing but no generally. If you can prevent yourself from saying it so much then the chances of them doing it lessen. I had my eldest saying yes to everything at that stage :hohoho: It also removes some of the negativity - they're not being naughty after all, but no is quite a negative word, whereas stop isn't.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:06 pm

ladybird wrote:What about saying stop instead of no. It helps to say no as little as possible, because toddlers go through a stage of saying nothing but no generally. If you can prevent yourself from saying it so much then the chances of them doing it lessen. I had my eldest saying yes to everything at that stage :hohoho: It also removes some of the negativity - they're not being naughty after all, but no is quite a negative word, whereas stop isn't.

I like that - think I am going to take to using stop.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:11 pm

I'd forgotten about that - good to be reminded, I'll switch to STOP for Grace too...

(Though Isabelle tends to ignore that too if she's in that kinda mood and doing something she knows she shouldn't ;) :giggle: )

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:16 pm

lol at the labour room thing..men! :giggle:
what I've learnt about the word 'no':
when i did my nursery nurse training we were told not to use the word 'no' as it doesnt explain what they are doing wrong and managing behaviour should involve allowing the child to understand why they shouldnt be doing something and why it may be dangerous, teaching them, this goes the same for the word 'naughty', they are both very negative words, also there is no such thing as naughty (so many people would not agree though lol), children aren't 'bad', children behave in certain ways for reasons i.e. boredom, playing (learning), exploring the world, pushing boundaries with poor parents lol, but obviously the 'no' word still finds its way in, its hard not to use it when a child is about to pour all their juice (mixed with left over sandwich) over the child next to them just before hometime :lol: and it obviously wouldn't do any harm but I can see how this makes sense; explaining and teaching rather than a closed of 'no' is better in the long run for both child and parent, but in no means does it mean using the word 'no' or even 'naughty' is an awful thing!

Obviously with a baby it's completely different (just like with an older child about to do something really dangerous), you cant really explain at this age and you need them to stop immediately, i think your baby would defenitly understand the tone of your voice and has realised that something interesting happens when he goes near the wires, it's like the dropping toys on the floor and watching adults pick them up time and time again :D very fun and interesting for the baby, they learn that their actions can cause others and objects to do certain things.
If you can try to distract him this can sometimes help the cycle, can you get covers for the wires at all? Saying no with a 'serious' tone of voice will let him know it's not allowed but it wont necessarily stop him as you've seen, you may have to keep removing him for a while yet, but distracting may really help you! Also with supervision could you find some bits of cable covering (basically a cable but just the plastic bit), not too long but not too small to be swallowed, put them in a treasure basket; check out this link it explains how to make one and what to include http://www.peep.org.uk/standard.asp?id=300 , it's basically everyday objects in a basket or box that baby's can explore, baby toys are often plastic and smooth and the textures are boring especially as they feel and explore with their mouthes, objects with different textures are great for sensory creatures like baby's :) !
I hope he loses interest in the wires soon :babyroll:
Good luck!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler