sleep update what do people think?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

sleep update what do people think?

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:43 am

Right we are back top feeding to sleep :giggle: I just can't bear trying not to its too hard and Izzy likes it. What I have noticed is that she is better off being really tired when I try to put her to bed otherwise she gets very frustrated in her cot. You know playing standing up rattling the rails, sometimes head banging on the side to which I have to pick her up! :babyrolleyes:

From my other thread I tried people's ideas before bed trying to wind down for an hour but i am having trouble choosing wind down activities :hohoho:

Ok so reading was a plan but Izzy really really loves books and gets very excited. She likes to be very involved in turning the pages, touching every detail, pointing, giggling, turning the book upside down, putting it on her head.... you get my point :giggle:

There is a Tv program she likes on baby first called sushy bye. I don't really let her watch tv generally at nanna's its on in the background though and she seems to really like it :oops: mean mummy! But part of me thinks TV might be too stimulating too

We have tried letting her play on her own on the floor but she is so fascinated by EVERYTHING :giggle: she is like a little whirlwind bless investigating and being very very busy

Ideally a snuggle on the sofa would be nice with some stroking, baby reflexology :giggle: but due to her age she won't sit still :babyroll:

Right so last night MIl and SIL had her highchair in the lounge (I usually feed in kitchen) with Tv on and then after tea they let her watch TV in the highchair. She got all very sleepy as she was sat still! I came in at half 6 and she was calm and tired :shock: so I put her to bed with :bf: another :bf: at 8 then she has slept.....in her cot!...... until 6am :shock: :shock: :shock:

SO WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK? I feel a bit weird about it, never used any kind of bouncer/playpen/bumbo/walker/bouncer to keep her in one place so is it wrong to use watching TV in the highchair to let her have calm down time? She is such a free spirit and I have always let me do what she wants and roam around but if it helps her to settle down for bed and of course she doesn't complain :roll: just like dad liking TV!

:-? :-? :-?

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: sleep update what do people think?

Postby emmajayne33 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:00 am

I was never that keen on allowing Abbie to watch TV, but we now use the bedtime hour on Cbeebies as part of our bedtime routine. They get their PJ's on at aroun 6/6.30pm and Abbie watches Waybuloo and Isaac really likes ITNG. It does seem to relax them and they actually sit still for half an hour on the sofa with me (IT's also lovely cuddle time for us :) ), When it's finished we go upstairs for teeth, song, story then bed! Isaac isn't all that interested in books, like Izzy he'd prefer to wear it on his head than listen to me read him a story!

I think if Izzy enjoys the program then sitting her in her highchair to watch it is fine. If she's chilled out it makes bedtime easier for both of you :) I'm sure she'll tell you straight away if she doesn't want to sit in the highchair !

I am glad she slept better for you last night :hug:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 am

Personally i would say if it works and she is not protesting go for it. It's not like your plonking her infront of it all the time so i don't think an hour or whatever before bed will really hurt

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:20 am

WTS. We do the same here. Once DH has left for work and everyone is bathed and ready for bed they watch half an hour of Cbeebies for Katie , then Katie goes to bed and the others get to watch 1 program before they go up. It definitely calms them down and makes bedtime much easier.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 am

emmajayne33 wrote:I was never that keen on allowing Abbie to watch TV, but we now use the bedtime hour on Cbeebies as part of our bedtime routine. They get their PJ's on at aroun 6/6.30pm and Abbie watches Waybuloo and Isaac really likes ITNG. It does seem to relax them and they actually sit still for half an hour on the sofa with me (IT's also lovely cuddle time for us :) ), When it's finished we go upstairs for teeth, song, story then bed!

WSS, we do the same either with the bedtime hour on cbeebies or the bedtime hour on nickJunior2...Megan loves it, she knows the bedtime songs and its part of her routine :) Kieren enjoys it too and I really dont worry about it...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 am

One of the reasons I generally don't like the TV being on in the daytime is that it seems to be a bit of a 'switch off' for both brain and body really...
Sure you're processing the images and sounds but it's not the same as reading a book etc...

I think if you've found something that helps her switch off at night then go with it... 15-30mins TV a day is not going to rot her brain especially since she's so active and 'on the go' the rest of the time...

The only thing I'd say is stick to the same kind of TV programme every night as something new might stimulate her too much...

Grace watches a charlie and lola episode before bed with Isabelle - to be fair there's no way I would have been doing this if we didn't do it with Isabelle now but it really seems to help (and it gives us a short breather from the whirlwind of the day before the carnage that can be putting them to bed!) and it's also a powerful bedtime cue...

We don't plonk Grace in the high chair for it - she's usually sat on one of our laps - but if she won't sit still unless she's there perhaps that's the best plan - afterall Izzy gets plenty of cuddles the rest of the day ;)

It used to be cbeebies for us until they changed the programme schedule as it was charlie and lola Isabelle was really after so we just bought the DVDs (we have six now :roll: :giggle: ) and Isabelle enjoys choosing which episode to watch...

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:45 am

I would do whatever works. To me, getting a good night's sleep is the most important thing for a child. If this helps make that easier then I'd be doing it! But if you're very uncomfortable with the TV routine, have you tried just telling stories (no book involved)? That's what my dad used to do for me and my sisters and what we do with Leo. Works a treat.

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

We do it! We watch INTG with both before bedtime, it's the only time of day that Evie sits on someone's knee for a prolonged period...she's usually knackered, so it beats her staggering all over the place, falling and bumping her head!
If it works for you...do it...don't be bothered about what other people think! :hug: :D

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm

If it works, it works!! Its only 20 mins or so and she has been active and played with all day! Plus you get sleep.....

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler