Clingy Mummy's girl

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Clingy Mummy's girl

Postby northernruth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Well not clingy as in won't let go of me, but she doesn't really want daddy

This morning DH went in to her when she woke up and she screams at him that she doesn't want him, she wants mummy, and there are tears and carrying on etc

We sometimes have it at bathtime too, and always about stories and bedtime if I am in the house. Not only is it inconvenient in terms of division of labour, but DH finds it upsetting and it makes it hard for him (getting up early to your daughter only to be greeted with tears and scorn can't be easy!)

Bizarrely she will often say to me in the day that she wishes Daddy were here, and he was away Saturday night and she kep asking for him Sunday morning and told him she missed him when he came home

Anyone with any experience of this and any suggestions? When will she grow out of it? (please tell me she will grow out of it......................)

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Clingy Mummy's girl

Postby Scotia » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:32 pm

northernruth wrote:(please tell me she will grow out of it......................)

She will grow out of it :giggle:

All mine went through stages like this. Next week she might decide she wants daddy all the time. :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Is it just a new thing? If it is could it perhaps be that she liked having you there during your week off??

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:45 pm

TBH she's always been a bit like this, but yes she has been worse with me since the week off. :-? She will come and sit on my knee and give me big cuddles if I've been out for a run for half an hour. Lovely, but not so good for DH!!!

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:04 pm

:hug: :hug:
I'm sure she'll grow out of it. Rebekah used to do it to me when she was Marthas age. Every morning when I went into her she'd scream & scream & refuse to let me get her out of her cot cos she wanted dh. It used to drive me nuts & it was very frustrating especially as he had already gone to work. It didn't upset me but it certainly didn't make for a nice start to the day. It only lasted a few weeks then she stopped. We used to end up having to ring him & once she'd spoken to him she was ok. :roll:
Grace is more clingy to me but I think it's her age.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm

It's been going on for ages in the mornings!!! But I guess I woudl rather she was clingy to me than the other way around.....

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby busybee » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 pm

My wee girl does this with her daddy too, especially at bedtime and when she's tired.It's horrible and I feel rotten about it. She only ever lets me put her to bed and if DP tries she just sits there crying for me. She sometimes says 'don't like daddy' which is really upsetting for him and we all know it's not true. I always go in because I can't stand to hear her crying for me. I'm sure both of our girls will grow out of it soon. Fingers Crossed! :hug:

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 pm

:hug: :hug:
Hope both your girls grow out of it soon!!
Now Rebekah is older she'll sometimes just scream for whichever on of us didn't go into her! :roll: :roll: The joys of toddlers eh?! :wink:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 pm

we had something similar with Charlotte but at bedtime, it became very frustrating that she would not let anyone put her to bed but me. DH also couldn't take her to nursery as she would scream the place down if he did.

I think she was a bit younger than Martha and I cannot remember when it stopped but she did just grow out of it, it wasn't something we did to stop it. hope it changes - I know I found it difficult because it was tiring but I had to remind myself that it was difficult for dh too as he felt rejected.

Return to Baby and Toddler