Temperature... (low)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Temperature... (low)

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 pm

:?
Been battling Grace's temperature for about 48hrs now and it's been more normal today thankfully and without meds too...
But after putting her to bed tonight her temp has plummeted... Now I know your body temp drops when you're asleep but no way should it be 34.8 right?! :shock: She has woken crying twice now because she was cold :?
I've warmed her up and piled cotton blankets on the second time as she was very clammy the second time but even colder so I've swapped the baby duvet for more blankets...

Bit of a contrast from the 39.8 it was last night :shock:

I wrapped her in a cotton blanket while I was feeding her and put it over her head too which helped bring her temp up to 35.3 but that's still way too low :?

Any ideas?

I'll be checking her temp when I go to bed in a bit too :?

Obviously I wouldn't normally take her temp like an obsessed idiot but she was that cold I was concerned and I've been taking it a fair bit with it being high...

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Temperature... (low)

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 pm

I've replied on chat :wink:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 pm

That's too low. You want to get it back up above 35.5-36 is you can. My first inclination would be to co-sleep with her and use your own body heat to help raise and regulate hers. That way you can keep a better eye on her as well.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
:-? now first off I am going to state the obvious and say is your thermometer ok, battery wise etc, I'm sure it is though. How many reading have you done, we always do 3.
Other than that I really can't offer any advice except to call NHS Direct and ask there advice as that really is a low temp.
:hug: :hug:

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Would she do skin to skin? That's what we do in the hosp to get babies temps up.

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm

beffys wrote:That's too low. You want to get it back up above 35.5-36 is you can. My first inclination would be to co-sleep with her and use your own body heat to help raise and regulate hers. That way you can keep a better eye on her as well.

WSS and I would call NHS direct.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm

I'm really not sure Steph, might be worth a call to NHS direct to sdee what they think. :-?

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Kirstyh wrote::hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
:-? now first off I am going to state the obvious and say is your thermometer ok, battery wise etc, I'm sure it is though. How many reading have you done, we always do 3.
Other than that I really can't offer any advice except to call NHS Direct and ask there advice as that really is a low temp.
:hug: :hug:

I was thinking that too! Check your temp too to see if it's working. Sorry if it sounds obvious :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 pm

I think it is fairly accurate - she did feel pretty cool...

I think I'll go to bed and take her in with me now - good idea about the co-sleeping trouble is I've had a glass of wine with my dinner :? :roll: (of all the nights!) :doh: will do some skin to skin and cuddles sitting up (so I don't nod off) to warm her up though and if I can't raise her temp I'll ring NHS direct...

(and yes I've taken FIVE readings to make sure and also two from me ;) )

Thanks ladies

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler