hf1

cosleeping

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: cosleeping

Postby lazylexis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 am

Exactly the same here.we've been co sleeping this week.nathan wakes for feeds every couple of hours and can't find my boob by himself so i wake up fully!i don't sleep too well with nathan in bed either but it's better than no sleep! Dh snores but has been on the sofa!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 am

well he is too big for the sofa! :hohoho: he iis 6 foot 2 and big built too and our sofa is the smallest stoopidest sofa ever in the world :roll: but going to buy a single bed on sunday from ikea that will go in izzy's room so we will probably be doing a bit of sleeping in there together or i can kick him out of our bed if he is snoring :twisted:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:51 am

I don't want to start a whole debate and I have nothing against co-sleeping, I think it is lovely if it works for you. But I can't help thinking from reading some of these posts that it can't be good if you don't sleep much, are frequently woken and it can't be great for your relationship if you are kicking dh out to the sofa all the time. I know it is natural and everything but what if you are all miserable?

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 am

I think when you've tried everything else to get your LO to sleep and your completely knackered, even if you don't sleep too well with LO in bed, it's better than having to get up to them every hour, especially if they're not in your room. I can't imagine having to get up and go to another room on these cold winter's night, every hour or more :shock: :-?

And it's better for your relationship with DH to kick him on to the sofa than spending all day yelling at each other because you're both tired.

We're talking about getting a spare single bed and setting up DH an office/computer room so he can concentrate on his art, he finds it difficult with Kacie around, and then he can just crash there if he's late to bed. And I can have Kacie in bed all night with me. She sleeps better with just me in the bed than when we're all in bed as she likes some space and I think she gets too hot.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:16 am

Annette wrote:I don't want to start a whole debate and I have nothing against co-sleeping, I think it is lovely if it works for you. But I can't help thinking from reading some of these posts that it can't be good if you don't sleep much, are frequently woken and it can't be great for your relationship if you are kicking dh out to the sofa all the time. I know it is natural and everything but what if you are all miserable?

no debate from me annette :hohoho: i am still shattered because she is feeding more frequently but i just dont know what else to do :( she just screams until she has :bf: and its much easier if she is right there in bed with me. hubby likes it in bed with izzy too. Thing is izzy is not miserable in our bed its just me and hubby might have to take a back seat for a while :(

I think the only other option is some kind of sleep training i am on my own most nights :| and dont really fancy it as the mo but i know the older she gets the harder it will be, ill have to cross that bridge when i come to it :-?

WWYD annette ? I am open to all suggestions although i am usually one to go for the easiest thing to do at the time thing :oops:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 am

There's nowt wrong with the path of least resistance, you just have to do what works at the time. Elizabeth PAntley recommends something called the Pantley Pull off method to wean them off feeding to sleep, not sure if that would help. It's in the No Cry Sleep Solution, but then she is a co sleeper as well from what I remember. The book is good tho because from memory it has suggestions for co sleeping and non co sleeping mums. Will see if I still have it, you would be welcome to it, we followed Andrea Grace in the end so didn't really refer to it much

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:56 am

littlesez wrote:WWYD annette ? I am open to all suggestions although i am usually one to go for the easiest thing to do at the time thing :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I know how hard it is - Ben was a terrible sleeper, still is sometimes. When he was a newborn, we didn't sleep at all, although it was a bit different as he had reflux and didn't sleep until he started medication. But he continued to be a fairly unsettled sleeper ever since.

I just can't sleep with the children in bed with me and therefore we went down the road of sleep training - we did a kind of cobbled together version of pick up put down and the slow retreat. It worked for us, and we have got to the point now that although Ben will wake in the night, most nights, perhaps 2 or 3 times, we just have to go to him, give him a pat and he will go back to sleep - I think he just needs some reassurance that we are there. But if you decide to go down the sleep training route, you have to be consistent and it is difficult - I just personally believe it is worth it, short term pain for a longer term gain.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with cosleeping and as Ruth says, there is something to be said for going down the path of least resistance, it just doesn't sound like you are happy with it :-?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks ladies for all your advise will have a think still :-?

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 am

Annette wrote:I don't want to start a whole debate and I have nothing against co-sleeping, I think it is lovely if it works for you. But I can't help thinking from reading some of these posts that it can't be good if you don't sleep much, are frequently woken and it can't be great for your relationship if you are kicking dh out to the sofa all the time. I know it is natural and everything but what if you are all miserable?

I agree with you Annette. That's why I finally had to do something about Kerr's sleeping recently and I don't regret having my bed back one bit. He woke up this morning at 4.30 because he was cold, so I brought him in beside us for a cuddle and a feed then, but generally he has gone from being awake most of the night to sleeping at least 10 hours now. We are all much better off for it too.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler