My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: cosleeping

Postby littlesez » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:13 am

fluffycabbage wrote:oh
ETA putting my son in a junior bed at 13m was about the worst thing i could have done, with hindsight.... :roll:

tell me more please :D why so bad? tahnks

nappynutter wrote:It's perfectly normal for a baby that age to want the emotional security that comes with co-sleeping. I would follow her lead. When she's ready she will leave again. You're not getting her into bad habits that will be hard to break. You are reinforcing the message that you love her and are there for her when she needs you which will help her become an secure independent child. We've co-slept with all six of ours children full-time until they decided to leave the family bed (between 20 and 24 months). Just remember that culturally co-sleeping is the norm. :)

how did yours decide to leave the bed ? sorry prob sounds like a dft question :oops:

UPDATE we have been putting her down in her cot at the evening and then picking her striaght up first time she wakes and into our bed for :bf: instead of trying to get her to stay in her cot and upsetting her along the way :crossbaby: so think we will carry on like this for now

me and hubby are so indecisive we dont do the same thing twice and im worried im messing her about :cry: somebody slap me an dtell me its ok not to have a routine please :(

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 am

littlesez wrote:me and hubby are so indecisive we dont do the same thing twice and im worried im messing her about :cry: somebody slap me an dtell me its ok not to have a routine please :(

Thats sounds just like me and Dave :-?

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:22 am

Dex has co slept with us for nearly 6 months now - we are trying to break the habit to some extent esp as I'm :pregnant: not sure how big our bed is! :giggle:

We now can put him down on his own and he goes to sleep in his cot within 10-20 minutes.

- then its 50 / 50 he'll ether sleep through, or wake when he wakes we'll have a 15-30 minute try of getting him back to sleep in the cot if that fails ( as it the middle of the night) he comes in with us x

think we'd both need to be off work for the week in order to go the entire night resettling him! - other wise we're too tired for work! x

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 am

Woozle35 wrote:
littlesez wrote:me and hubby are so indecisive we dont do the same thing twice and im worried im messing her about :cry: somebody slap me an dtell me its ok not to have a routine please :(

Thats sounds just like me and Dave :-?

WsS! You sound v much like us.we're doing the same as you atm except nathan's cot is in the same room as us but the other side of the room to our bed.tonight i put nathan in his cot asleep at 10 and he woke at 1.gonna try and put him back now.if not he'll be in with me and i'll try again next time after he's woken and fed.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 am

littlesez wrote:
fluffycabbage wrote:how did yours decide to leave the bed ? sorry prob sounds like a dft question :oops:

They asked for their own bed/bedroom. :wink:

Co-sleeping doesn't have to be full-time. You can do it for part of the night if you like. It doesn't confuse your child to respond to their needs. :D

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:50 am

littlesez wrote:UPDATE we have been putting her down in her cot at the evening and then picking her striaght up first time she wakes and into our bed for :bf: instead of trying to get her to stay in her cot and upsetting her along the way :crossbaby: so think we will carry on like this for now

That's exactly what I do. Katie goes up to bed with the other two but generally at some point during the night comes into bed with me. I think if it works for you then carry on with it. I did the same with all of my 3 and they eventually stopped coming in during the night. Although I do sometimes wake up to find all 3 of them in our bed. :roll: :giggle: (not very often though luckily).

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:57 am

Louise wrote:
littlesez wrote:UPDATE we have been putting her down in her cot at the evening and then picking her striaght up first time she wakes and into our bed for :bf: instead of trying to get her to stay in her cot and upsetting her along the way :crossbaby: so think we will carry on like this for now

That's exactly what I do. Katie goes up to bed with the other two but generally at some point during the night comes into bed with me. I think if it works for you then carry on with it. I did the same with all of my 3 and they eventually stopped coming in during the night. Although I do sometimes wake up to find all 3 of them in our bed. :roll: :giggle: (not very often though luckily).

Yep, exactly what I do to. Definitely the thing that works best so we all get the best sleep we can. Except for the really strange nights where Missy seems to want to go back in the cot for her own space, usually just when I think I've got her sussed :roll: :-?

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 am

Kerr has only just started sleeping all night in his own bed. He's never been a good sleeper at all, and the beautiful swinging cradle I bought for him was a complete waste of money as he never spent a single night in it :x :giggle: I didn't mind co-sleeping at all, but recently he would feed all night (well actually he was using me as a dummy for most of it). All ok in itself, but I couldn't get comfortable at all and wasn't getting any sleep myself. If he wasn't feeding he was climbing all over the bed wanting to play and it just got to the stage where we were all exhausted, and he would be grumpy all day and had real bags under his eyes.

2 weeks ago today I decided it was time to get him to go to sleep in his cot - I had always put him down asleep - and it was hell for 2 nights. There were lots of tears (from both of us) but I persevered and stayed beside the cot until he went to sleep, patting his back and holding his hand. I kind of used the pick up put down routine, but just adapted it to suit us. Anyway, after he fell asleep the first night, he slept for 10 hours! Never heard of before with Kerr, and I never thought for a minute it would be repeated any time soon :wink: The second night he didn't go to sleep until 1am but he slept until 8.30. Since then, we still stay in the room until he falls asleep, and he does object for a few seconds but he has slept through from 7-8pm until around 7am. If you knew Kerr you would know how amazing that is :wine: He did wake up through the night on Sunday, so I brought him through with us for a feed and a cuddle and he stayed in with us for the rest of the night. He had slept in the car too late that day though and I was worried we were back to square 1 but he slept through again last night.

A long, meaningless ramble maybe :giggle: but the thing is even when we started this routine I never thought for a minute he would sleep all night. Just to give you some hope that she will sleep through one day, probably when you're least expecting it.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Sorry hon but you will all find it easier if you do have a routine....... :giggle:

But as others have said, a routine doesn't have to be Gina Ford or on her own all night, whatever works for you. Some consistency tho will help you and DH (and Isabelle) know what is happening, and take some of the stress away (hopefully). I appreciate you need to change things around a bit in the first place to work out what works!

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler