hf1

Mealtimes

My avatar
Natalie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Mealtimes

Postby Natalie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 am

We have a bad habbit of letting ds get away with not eating much really and when he does eat he want what he wants or would rather go without.

We eat family meals together and i would love to feed him everyday foods but he wont tough veg, fish etc how can i get out of this mess? x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 am

Sounds a bit like our house, Louis is just terrible at meals now, won't touch any veg unless I've hidden it :evil: So di9fferent to Josh who loved all his veg and is still pretty good! Look forward to hearing some ideas from the others!

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:45 am

So tricky and also so stressful.
It sounds like you're doing the right thing by showing the example and eating all together. I'm also having trouble getting veg into Kiara and she used to love them.
I think you should carry on as you're doing but not give him what he wants and if he doesn't eat anything then perhaps feeding him cereals (if he likes them) just before bed so that he doesn't wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
It's what I try to do when it happens here. I say try because then dh tends to go and cook her some pasta.

Good luck

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:52 pm

Kayleigh eats her fruit and veg. I just have to hide veg in David's food to get him to eat it :lol: :lol:
Good luck with getting the little ones eating their veg.
Actually one of my friends has a fussy eater, but luckily her little girl will eat her veg at nursery when all the other kids are eating it (doesn't want to miss out).

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Taneli went through a phase when he would only eat veg that had been cooked in chicken soup (carrots, parsnips, corguettes etc) or covered in cream cheese...or frozen peas..still frozen, in a little bowl as a snack.

My avatar
jscobie
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby jscobie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Joshua doesn't eat much at mealtimes either. we eat as a family so all have the same thing. i always put out veg etc. for them both and if they don't eat it then i just tidy it away but don't offer an alternative.

Faith eats way more than Josh just now. She will eat a slice of toast at breakfast where he might only eat a quarter!!

jackie x

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Sorry I can't help really as Katie is the same, a few mouthfuls and she's done :(

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Most toddlers IME are natural grazers, there's nothing wrong with him self-regulating in that way IMO, far better for a healthy relationship with food.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:48 pm

Ditto what Tracy said! Erin loves gracing... we did go the blw route though. She's never eaten loads for lunch but I don't mind because she seems to eat all morning lol first cereal, then maybe a bit of toast (she leaves the crusts most days) then an hour or so later she'll want some fruit or raisins or a biscuit. She also tends to have something before her big nap around 12.

TBH I would just go with the flow and try not to stress.

Erin goes through phases, she's a great eater but she still has her little quirks (which can change lol)

For instance, she LOVES peppers raw now, I think this is down to "helping" me prepare dinner. However whenever she bites into a cooked pepper, we get "Yeuch" maybe letting him "help" might get hom more interested again, but don't force the issue or you'll make a bad association with food.

Bananas this week are preferred cut up!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler