hf1

Teeth Brushing Tips Please

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Teeth Brushing Tips Please

Postby becky1978 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Archie has had 4 teeth through in the past 4 weeks and I'm having real propblems getting him to let me brush them.

He isn't too bad with the top ones, but won't let me anywhere near the bottom ones, he keeps pushing the brush out of his mouth with his tongue.

I really want to get him in good habits from the offset, but could do with some tips if anyone has any please?

Also do you do it for 2 minutes like you do for adults and older children because I can never see me getting to do it for that long. :oops:

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Teeth Brushing Tips Please

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 pm

u tried giving him a tooth brush too? he might just chew on it, but it'd do something towards cleaning them.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:10 pm

two minutes does sound really difficult for any child let alone a young child, i suppose the best thing would be to try and make it fun, encourage him, let him handle and explore the brush and maybe he could try and brush his favourite teddies teeth too so he might be more likely to be interested, dont force it as he is likely to refuse altogether and that wont be fun for either of you, look at fun books about brushing teeth even if he is quite young and let him watch and 'help' you to brush your teeth :D maybe an older sibling can show him how, he might want to be big and grown up like them if he's of that age? does it seem painful or uncomfortable? i think encouraging him at the moment is good but not a really bad thing if he just wont do it, just spend a little while on this and make it a fun thing, let him pick a nice toothbrush and toothpaste and maybe give him stickers or other little treats for brushing his teeth (or letting you help him) to do so, so well.
you could try one of those brushing teeth timers too, im sure iv seen brushes with special timers too, these are for older children im not sure how old your little guy is

hope you have lots of shiney clean teeth soon!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:47 pm

another thought might not be much help, but u never know, what about those finger brushes? might give u a little more control over brushing under a tongue. it just randomly popped in my head!hehe

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I don't think you could brush a baby's teeth for 2 mins. You can use a muslin over your finger, but I let R chew the brush for a bit before trying my best later.

A bit late now, but some people start brushing their gums from a few months old so that they get used to it before their teeth arrive.
Last edited by ebonina on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Kacie's quite good with teeth brushing, she actually looks up to her brush at the times she knows that's what comes next :giggle: We do get the tongue pushing though when I try and do the bottom ones :roll: She has 2 toothbrushes, one she can play with and one I use for trying to clean her teeth. There's no way she'd let me do them for 2 minutes though :crossbaby: :roll:
I think just being consistant with them and making sure you attmpt to do it at the same times every day and not pushing them if they get upset and don't like it. Yes it's important to do it, but it's also important that it doesn't become a battle :wink:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm

I go with the chewing approach - Ben gives it a good chew and then I get in there at the end to try to do it a bit properly. Our dentist says that is fine and it is alot to do with getting them used to the routine of brushing every day so that as they get older they will be used to it.

What I do try to do is make it a bit of fun, so singing is good - "this is the way we brush our teeth" (you get the idea) and the suggestion of brushing teddies teeth is a good one too, Ben brushes his bear's teeth. We all do it together too so that he learns from us and often asks for his toothbrush if we are in the bathroom.

Like I say it is as much about getting them used to it at this age as actually cleaning their teeth, I challenge anyone to brush their toddler's teeth for 2 minutes!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm

No tips I'm afraid as I can't brush Finn's teeth either. So we go for the toothbrush chewing method too, at least he gets a bit of toothpaste on his teeth. I'm not too worried about it though as Connor was exactly the same but is now very good at cleaning his own teeth then letting me finish off. I can't actually remember when it stopped being a battle, but it does improve!

ETA: I've just noticed on your ticker that Archie has a big brother. Although Finn won't generally let me clean his teeth he's started trying to copy Connor when he does his. Do you do both your boys' teeth at the same time so Archie can learn by imitation?

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 pm

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:u tried giving him a tooth brush too? he might just chew on it, but it'd do something towards cleaning them.

WSS that's what I do with DD's teeth, generally let her chew the brush for 2 minutes

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler