hf1

daily routine?

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: daily routine?

Postby smilinglou » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 pm

i think things sound like they will be much better for you when you move house, you can start getting him into routine of being on his own to sleep in his nursery if that's what you wanted, can you spend some time with your husband rather than doing the housework even if it's just once?
we put Lily up to bed at about 7or 8 it takes about 20 mins to an hour to feed her and get her to sleep (she's only 8 weeks though but we started her early with this) she then sleeps up in our room for about 4 hours with the monitor on so we can hear her, then we go up to bed (she sleeps with us in our room), i feed her/ dh changes her then she sleeps for about 3 hours, this way we get the evening together and can eat dinner get a few bits finished off etc, this will get her in routine for going bed when she's older too. i found not picking her up straight away and just soothing her and rocking her moses basket in the dark, she stops crying after a few minutes and sleeps for the four hours, can you try that with Nathan, get him into the routine of taking himself off to sleep but with you in the room to sooth him, im not saying leave him to cry or anything like that, i dont like that idea, but meet half way and teach him that your still there for him but that he can take himself off to sleep and when he is put down thats sleep time, do you keep the room dark? i think maybe eating dinner at his bedtime may not be helping you with this, but this is your routine and you need to change little bits slowly so not to upset nathan and to keep things simple for you, dont stress about changing everything and expecting everything to get better straight away, you're doing well, just listen to your instincts and try and leave the housework (i know thats really difficult, im impossible with this)
i really hope things work out for you and maybe you can use some of the tips from ppl on here and adapt them to your routine! :hug:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Firstly, I'm sure you're doing alot more than you think, try not to be too hard on yourself :hug: .

Life is much easier here now that Finn is older, but even now it's often a case of fitting jobs in when I get an opportunity - wipe round the bathroom while we're all upstairs getting washed and dressed, put some stuff down the loo before we go out and clean it when I next need the toilet once we get home, then while I'm up there grab the next basket load of washing so I don't have to go up for it later, etc. I agree with Annette about using a bouncy chair in the bathroom while you bath/shower, I actually used to manage quite leisurely baths sometimes doing that! Do you use a sling (sorry, I can't remember if you mentioned it), so Nathan could stay close to you while you get a few other bits done around the house?

If you're doing stuff in the kitchen would Nathan sit in there with you in the highchair, maybe with a snack or something 'kitcheny' like a sieve and wooden spoon to play with? I used to struggle sometimes chopping veggies etc with whingey littlies clinging to my ankles, til the penny dropped that they just wanted to see what was going on.

Try to stay positive about what an amazing job you are doing by being a mum, and forget about the other stuff. Something I think I've mentioned before here (and probably stole from here :oops: :giggle: ) is instead of making a 'to do' list each morning you make an 'i've done' list each evening. So instead of being disappointed by not managing to do all the things you think you should've done, you can look back on your day and feel pleased with what you've achieved: got yourself and Nathan washed and dressed, played together, did a load of washing, stuffed and folded nappies, splashed bleach down the loo, prepared breakfast and lunch for you both, walked the dog, went to the shop, prepared dinner... etc etc. All fine achievements to be proud of!! Apologies if you've read that before, I just think it's a great way to look at things and to reduce our stress about things like cleaning, things that really don't deserve our stress!

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 pm

I think you're getting plenty done especially given Nathans aversion to sleep :roll:

You've had a lot of advice and suggestions. i just wanted to add, don't give up on him settling himself. Up until about 5 weeks ago Imogen had to be walked to sleep (round and round in the bedroom) then very carefully lowered into the cot, sometimes 3 attempts.

One day she just wouldn't go off to sleep so I popped her down in the cot for a minute and covered her up to get my sanity back expecting her to scream and she fell asleep :shock: She's settling off for all naps now, amazed is not the word :giggle:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler