hf1

Advice re: eczema REALLY needed

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Advice re: eczema REALLY needed

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:18 pm

:idea: I've just spent a rather upsetting morning with DH and Max in the NHS Walk-In Clinic as Max had developed a rash all over his body that was not there last night. It was on his bum, up his back, on his legs and all over his cheeks and forehead. We have found out that the doc suspects eczema and has prescribed Aveeno bath oil and cream to help keep his skin moisturised. What I really need advice on is the following:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for nappy cream that won't irritate his eczema? I currently use Zinc and Castor oil and this has been fine up until now?

2. I usually change Max every 2-3 hours. Is it best if I keep this down to 2 hours so that the urine doesn't irritate (he's a medium to heavy wetter)?

3. I have just bought Max 2 pairs of longies and one of them is made from quite thick wool. As I have never used wool on him is there a chance that the lanolin could inflame the eczema? Can the wool overheat his skin and cause itching (I know that wool is breathable but these ones seem quite thick wool). I was planning on using fitteds and wool at night but now I'm not sure.

4. Am I ok to carry on using Persil bio when washing his nappies (I rinse 2-4 times after every wash)?

5. Any other tips or advice that people have in regards to eczema

I know this is a lot to ask but I've seen how bad eczema can get and I want to try and make him as comfortable as poss. Thanx in advance ladies.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Advice re: eczema REALLY needed

Postby tiyuricc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Oh poor Max.

I don't have the answer to most of your questions, but I suffered terribly with eczema as a child ... have grown out of it now, but it comes out again if I come in contact with wool. Even if I have a couple of under layers and a wool jumper on top, it comes out again. Not sure if it's just me or if that's the way with eczema. Your woollies might be a trial and error thing - wait to see if it clears a little, then see if it comes back worse after wearing them.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Other people can probably answer better if they've dealt with severe nappy rash, but I know people have mention just patting dry and not rubbing the sore area with a wipe.

With the wool the thickness won't make that much difference, the wool will still be breathable. He could react or be allergic to either wool or lanolin, but it may not be either. You'd be able to tell pretty easily with the lanolin by doing a test spot on his skin, so try rubbing a little bit in to the back of his hand on his leg or somewhere where the skin is thicker. It could be a reaction to washing powder too, but then if he's been fine before... If it stays bad into next week or gets worse, I would go back to the doctor quickly and see what else they can suggest. When Ella has had bad skin, the only thing that worked is prescription creams, but that's been eczema on her legs and face, never on her bum. Her bum and legs have always been better in wool. Lanolin is actually really good for healing skin (provided there is no allergy to it). That's why you get medical grade versions of it. We have changed Ella more frequently when she has any sort of rash, but nappy free time really helps too. We use metanium and think it is brilliant stuff but a lot of people can't stand it. It tends to dry the skin out though, wheras you probably want something like bepanthem or kalmison.

Able to replenish the lipid bilayers, lanolin can be used to maintain and repair the skin's natural barrier, whilst protecting it against damaging environmental factors. Whilst lanolin is able to protect the skin by helping to maintain a healthy skin barrier function, it also possesses natural anti-microbial properties that provide additional protection benefits.

It's quite possible to have ezcema and be allergic to animal fibres so react to wool (allergic to sheep basically). I have asthma and allergic to cats or dogs. Ella has a touch of ezcema though no allergies yet. We used Oilatum and GP prescribed a big bottle of bath stuff and of cream for Ella as it's expensive over the counter. It's great, but sometimes we need to use medicated cream. There's the same patch appearing flaring up on Ella's face beside her ear atm.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:59 pm

If you can then my advice would be to see a homeopath. Eczema responds well to homeopathy. 3 sessions and Tallin's eczema was sorted, we watched it disappear in front of our eyes on the third dose of powder he had and it hasn't been back in nearly 6yrs.

If you want a good cream then I can recommend chickweed and calendula cream from Earthbound organics.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:21 pm

beffys wrote:the wool the thickness won't make that much difference, the wool will still be breathable. He could react or be allergic to either wool or lanolin, but it may not be either. You'd be able to tell pretty easily with the lanolin by doing a test spot on his skin, so try rubbing a little bit in to the back of his hand on his leg or somewhere where the skin is thicker. [\quote]

Thats useful, thanx. I wondered if the thickness would make much difference due to wool's breathability so thats good to know. Will try the lanolin test and see what happens. He had the longies on about 5 mins when they arrived on Weds/Thursday and about 20 mins the following nigt and there was no reaction so I don't think its the longies.

beffys wrote: It could be a reaction to washing powder too, but then if he's been fine before... If it stays bad into next week or gets worse, I would go back to the doctor quickly and see what else they can suggest. When Ella has had bad skin, the only thing that worked is prescription creams, but that's been eczema on her legs and face, never on her bum. Her bum and legs have always been better in wool. Lanolin is actually really good for healing skin (provided there is no allergy to it). That's why you get medical grade versions of it. We have changed Ella more frequently when she has any sort of rash, but nappy free time really helps too.

The lanolin makes sense as I forgot its in medical creams. Are def going to give him lots more air-time

beffys wrote: It's quite possible to have ezcema and be allergic to animal fibres so react to wool (allergic to sheep basically). I have asthma and allergic to cats or dogs. Ella has a touch of ezcema though no allergies yet.

DH's sister and brother are both allergic to cats. We took Max to my aunty's house and they have a cat but he showed no sign of reacting to any allergens so I think we're ok on that score.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Don't know what they said about the moisturising cream but it works best put on at least 4 times a day if not more.some kids with eczema are allergic to lanolin but some aren't.i think the wool you wont know until you try but will probably irritate any dry skin.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm gonna try the lanolin on his hand/arm and see if he reacts and then I'll re-try his longies once this bout clears up. Will flongies have the same possible effect?

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:16 pm

flongies shouldn't have the same effect since they are polyester rather than wool, my DS has really bad eczema at the moment and it is caused by Johnsons soaps :-? we had been using the stuff on him for 3 years before he started to flare up so it is possible that your DS is having a reaction to something you have been using before.

Sorry not much help I'm afraid

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Emma1977 wrote:DH's sister and brother are both allergic to cats. We took Max to my aunty's house and they have a cat but he showed no sign of reacting to any allergens so I think we're ok on that score.

I first noticed being allergic to cats when I was about 5. It's on repeat encounters (and periods away from) the allergy appears and gets worse. What I meant was that animal allergies (or any allergies) tend to be linked to asthma and ezcema so it could be wool or it could be lanolin for that reason, but not neccesarily either. And you can be allergic to one animal trigger and not others. I'm only triggered with dogs or especially with cats, whereas sheep and lanolin I'm fine with thankfully. :giggle: Ella's fine so far too with asthmas or allergies. I've not been brave enough to put her near a cat or dog yet, she's just seen them from afar.

Unless the wool is really soft, it may well irritate further if the skin is irritated anyway. I think Ella had issues with Johnsons soap as well for a good while as we had to stop using it.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler