hf1

Advice re: eczema REALLY needed

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Advice re: eczema REALLY needed

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:58 pm

beffys wrote:I first noticed being allergic to cats when I was about 5. It's on repeat encounters (and periods away from) the allergy appears and gets worse. What I meant was that animal allergies (or any allergies) tend to be linked to asthma and ezcema so it could be wool or it could be lanolin for that reason, but not neccesarily either. And you can be allergic to one animal trigger and not others. I'm only triggered with dogs or especially with cats, whereas sheep and lanolin I'm fine with thankfully. :giggle: Ella's fine so far too with asthmas or allergies. I've not been brave enough to put her near a cat or dog yet, she's just seen them from afar.

:roll: :x these things are never straight forward.

Unless the wool is really soft, it may well irritate further if the skin is irritated anyway. I think Ella had issues with Johnsons soap as well for a good while as we had to stop using it.

Maybe he's allergic to me buying him yummy woollie fluff :cry:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Emma1977 wrote:Maybe he's allergic to me buying him yummy woollie fluff :cry:

Were the woollies washed with scented wool wash or treated with scented lanolin? If so he may well be allergic to something in that rather than the actual wool or lanolin itself.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:11 pm

It's a nightmare trying to track down triggers or reactions. We never worked out what was bothering Ella when she had bad nappy rash. When we started using wool it dissapeared. We also change to bold around the same time and we thought it might have been the Johnsons. The washing powder we thought might have been a reaction when the nappy and skin were wet, but it's really hard to track down.

I hope he's not allergic to your yummy wooly fluff, it could be lots of other things instead.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Louise wrote:Were the woollies washed with scented wool wash or treated with scented lanolin? If so he may well be allergic to something in that rather than the actual wool or lanolin itself.

They were lanolised with applejack scented. Will try Beth's suggestion tomorrow and dab a little on his arm tomorrow and see what happens.

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Louise wrote:
Emma1977 wrote:Maybe he's allergic to me buying him yummy woollie fluff :cry:

Were the woollies washed with scented wool wash or treated with scented lanolin? If so he may well be allergic to something in that rather than the actual wool or lanolin itself.

Oh no poor thing, hope it is not his woolies :hug:. The ones you bought from us were just washed in olive soap and then lanolised in that apple jack lanolin I sent you. Hope you can find ot what caused it, has he had any new foods? :hug:

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:28 pm

bryc1 wrote:Oh no poor thing, hope it is not his woolies :hug:. The ones you bought from us were just washed in olive soap and then lanolised in that apple jack lanolin I sent you. Hope you can find ot what caused it, has he had any new foods? :hug:

:oops: :hug: Hope this doesn't read like I'm blaming you hun. I very much doubt its the lanolin or the wool. :hug:

Could dairy have this effect. I've been introducing FF cows milk inplace of some of his formula feeds and, again, had dismissed this as he's been having it for weeks and I was using it in cooking from 6 months.

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Emma1977 wrote:
bryc1 wrote:Oh no poor thing, hope it is not his woolies :hug:. The ones you bought from us were just washed in olive soap and then lanolised in that apple jack lanolin I sent you. Hope you can find ot what caused it, has he had any new foods? :hug:

:oops: :hug: Hope this doesn't read like I'm blaming you hun. I very much doubt its the lanolin or the wool. :hug:

Could dairy have this effect. I've been introducing FF cows milk inplace of some of his formula feeds and, again, had dismissed this as he's been having it for weeks and I was using it in cooking from 6 months.

No it didn't read like that, just wanted to let you know exactly what I had used so you know.

Yes dairy can cause it Ty was the same he could have milk used in cooking but not straight milk or yoghurts till about 18 months, though he didn't react as bad just a few dry patches but he was also sick with it.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:08 pm

He's been having yoghurts since he was 7 months or so and on a regular basis so unless having cows milk to drink has 'overloaded' his system . . . . :-?

How long did it take Ty to react? Was it straight away?

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:34 pm

We were similar he seemed to be fine with yoghurts but after introducing them more often and giving cows milk to drink, was :bf: he then flared up, it took us a wee while to figure out the cause as like you I thought he would be fine after having yoghurts but like beth said allergies and intorlences can build up, which is what happened to use so had to cut it all out bar cooked milk but as I said he mostly outgrew it at 18months I just have to watch how much he has. Maybe worth dropping it back just now and then trying again once his skin clears up.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler