hf1

Advice re: eczema REALLY needed

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Advice re: eczema REALLY needed

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:36 pm

bryc1 wrote:We were similar he seemed to be fine with yoghurts but after introducing them more often and giving cows milk to drink, was :bf: he then flared up, it took us a wee while to figure out the cause as like you I thought he would be fine after having yoghurts but like beth said allergies and intorlences can build up, which is what happened to use so had to cut it all out bar cooked milk but as I said he mostly outgrew it at 18months I just have to watch how much he has. Maybe worth dropping it back just now and then trying again once his skin clears up.

Will do. Thanx hun :hug: My poor little lad. He loves his cows milk

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:41 pm

i suffered from excema as a reaction to cows milk as a baby but so far my son is ok. it might be something, i had to have goats milk apparently.

we use aveeno cream for Caleb and it has worked a treat and on his bum we use miamoo cheeky cream :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Emma1977 wrote:
bryc1 wrote:We were similar he seemed to be fine with yoghurts but after introducing them more often and giving cows milk to drink, was :bf: he then flared up, it took us a wee while to figure out the cause as like you I thought he would be fine after having yoghurts but like beth said allergies and intorlences can build up, which is what happened to use so had to cut it all out bar cooked milk but as I said he mostly outgrew it at 18months I just have to watch how much he has. Maybe worth dropping it back just now and then trying again once his skin clears up.

Will do. Thanx hun :hug: My poor little lad. He loves his cows milk

You could replace it with buffalo milk (which occado sell for example) as I've read great things about this compared with cows milk for allergy/eczema sufferers...

Goats milk proteins are a similar shape to cows so if you've a problem with one there's a good chance you will with the other but it's not guarantee'd...

Try taking him off cows altogether for a bit (trouble is it can take quite a long time for the skin to recover to notice a difference so you need to give it at least two weeks minimum) and then if it improves trial goats as that is easier to get hold of than buffalo!

Buffalo proteins are a completely different shape apparently so don't have the 'similarity' allergy problem.

If you want any advice on cutting cows milk out of the diet give me a shout as I've been dairy free for over six months now and Grace is completely dairy free too...

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:11 am

Thanx, Steph. DIdn't know you could even buy buffalo milk :shock:

I'm definetly willing to 'detox' him from dairy for awhile and use alternatives. My one sticking point would be yoghurts as he loves these. I know you can get soy-based ones but was wondering what you used for Grace?

Could try and cut it out for a couple of weeks and see if his skin improves and then introduce a small amount again after this time and see if he reacts to it again.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:58 am

If it's dairy then he's likely to react to formula feeds too.i wouldn't start cutting out dairy without being more sure that was causing the allergy and with the advice of a dietician.it may well be something else like the scent in the lanolin etc.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Emma1977 wrote:Thanx, Steph. DIdn't know you could even buy buffalo milk :shock:

I'm definetly willing to 'detox' him from dairy for awhile and use alternatives. My one sticking point would be yoghurts as he loves these. I know you can get soy-based ones but was wondering what you used for Grace?

Could try and cut it out for a couple of weeks and see if his skin improves and then introduce a small amount again after this time and see if he reacts to it again.

Grace can't have soya so we just don't give her yogurty things at all...
She does like fruit pouches and slurps them straight from the pouch but you could give him the fruit pots instead of yogurts...

And like Lexi said obviously any formula feeds will contain cows milk too...

If it's all over his body (or just nappy area as that shows something in his wee e.g. cows milk protein (cmp) ) and not the waistband then it is probably a cmpi (cmp intolerance) but like Lexi said it could be the scent in the lanolin as while they're 'skin safe' obviously scents and things can irritate skin...

Try lanolising with unscented stuff (and avoid johnsons baby-bath/products at all costs!) and make sure you're using something super gentle in the bath e.g. oats in a sock...

Emma1977 wrote:Could dairy have this effect. I've been introducing FF cows milk inplace of some of his formula feeds and, again, had dismissed this as he's been having it for weeks and I was using it in cooking from 6 months.
Drinking bottles of formula is HUGELY more concentrated than little bits in cooking and on cereal for example... It also builds up in the system and so you won't necessarily notice an immediate reaction as it accumulates and gets worse and worse...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:13 pm

BTW this is the best stuff for nappy rash I have ever found plus these guys have it reduced and low-ish postage and they delivered super quick!

http://www.littledodo.co.uk/angel-baby- ... y-organics

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Poor Max!

Emi has eczema so I know how bad it can be, specially with a LO.

I can't use wool for Emi, she gets itchy and that's not good iykwim.
You can try to figure out if he gets more eczema with another washing powder or not, that's also the idea with food etc.
But it can be very very hard and it's possible that you'll find out.

We cream once or twice a day to keep her skin soft but from time to time we have a big bad rash.
Like at the moment her belly is totally covered with it and it hurts me to see my lo like this.
I like to use mostly cotton clothes and try to keep it cool, atm it didn't put her in her sleepingbag because I think it may be to hot and will make things more itchy. But it is a constant way of trying with good and bad times.

:hug: :hug: Hope it doesn't get to bad.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanx for the cream recommendation, Steph,

Esther, thanx for the :hug: and advice. He hasn't got any worse in the last 24 hours and at the mo it seems really mild. We are bathing him in aveeno oil and I'm using the cream on him morning and night (and on his bum when I change his nappies). I'm very conscious that having too many layers on can make him itch so he has gone to bed tonight without his bodysuit on and just his sleepsuit. I also had him in his HO nappy and wool longies for a bit today as his skin showed no reaction to the lanolin yesterday.

Poor Emi. Eczema is horrible and more so when you see how uncomfortable it makes them and they can't understand it.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler