78%

Total votes : 49
My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Did/do you co-sleep?

Postby charliesam » Sat May 30, 2009 7:47 am

yeshave co-slept with all 3 of mine from day1 :mrgreen: well not when sam was in scbu but day1 at home :wink:
and still co-sleep with sam and charlie :oops: :roll: henry moved into his own bed about 2-3 years ago but occasionaly i find him asleep at the nottom of the bed in the morning :lol:

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sat May 30, 2009 8:14 am

charliesam wrote:yeshave co-slept with all 3 of mine from day1 :mrgreen: well not when sam was in scbu but day1 at home :wink:
and still co-sleep with sam and charlie :oops: :roll: henry moved into his own bed about 2-3 years ago but occasionaly i find him asleep at the nottom of the bed in the morning :lol:

I think thats lovely :cry:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat May 30, 2009 10:14 am

PoshMama wrote:officially co-sleeping means in the same room, so a cot next to the bed means co-sleeping

Have to say that wouldn't be my definition and if you ask most people (or even ask on an AP forum) it wouldn't be theirs either so I'm not sure where your 'official' definition comes from :?

Just by way of example: definition from cosleeping.org
Cosleeping (sometimes spelled co-sleeping, and also known as bed sharing or "having a family bed") is the practice of having your infant in your bed with you during sleep.
Wikipedia is similar...
Co-sleeping, also called the family bed, is a practice in which babies and young children sleep with one or both parents, as opposed to a separate infant bed.

charliesam wrote:yeshave co-slept with all 3 of mine from day1 :mrgreen: well not when sam was in scbu but day1 at home :wink:
Did you get a rollocking off the HV/MWs for doing it with a scbu baby too? :babyrolleyes:

We co-slept with Isabelle on and off (mainly on!) until we moved her into her own room at 11months as we kept waking her when we came to bed and she was more rested after that point - she often came in with us after the first feed of the night though...

First few weeks we co-slept with Grace but she's in the crib next to me now and although she comes into our bed for a feed goes back in the crib afterwards...

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sat May 30, 2009 10:39 am

API has co-sleeping meaning a bedside cot and bed sharing with the baby in the bed. That is the org I work with so that is what we teach people.

But in practise people use the term co-sleeping to mean in the bed. Be careful though the term "co-sleeper" is trademarked now!

My DD was 36 weeker and had some grunting while breathing, we had her in the bed in the hospital and it made her avoid the NICU :D

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sat May 30, 2009 11:30 am

here is a link to prove I'm not making it up

http://www.attachmentparenting.org/principles/night.php

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat May 30, 2009 12:20 pm

PoshMama wrote:to prove I'm not making it up

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: never said you were :)

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sat May 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
PoshMama wrote:to prove I'm not making it up

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: never said you were :)

LOL I know, just saying. Proof I'm not nuts LOL

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Sat May 30, 2009 6:52 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:

Did you get a rollocking off the HV/MWs for doing it with a scbu baby too? :babyrolleyes:

well... when sam was in scbu when he was well enough we were moved together into a ward attached to the unit to get feeding established etc by this time neither of us had had any sleep for 2 weeks. sam would not settle in the cot he just screamed keeping me and 2 other poor mums awake for 2 nights so on night 3 i drew the curtains around and sam and i slept for 4 hours in the bed until a furious mw came in and grabbed sam put him in the cot :evil: :evil: needless to say he woke up :x :x

after that i couldn't get home quick enough and insisted on going, in retrospect far too early ,as initially he really struggled to gain wt he went form 2 hour tube feeds to home :bf: in 2 days :shock: :shock:

since being at home my hv has asked several times when i am planning putting him in a cot (i haven't told her about charlie :giggle: :giggle: ) which i just ignore :oops: :oops:

i don't know how you non co-sleepers settle your babies-all 3 of mine have only settled in arms and with human contact, even the nurses in scbu couldn't settle sam for more then 10mins- none of them wanted to look after him because he just screamed :( :( and even though you were supposed to go during their handover they begged me to stay because they couldn't handover properly if not because of sam :giggle:
i think with henry and sam a mixture of colic and reflux made them v difficult babies and i would not have survived without co-sleeping

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sat May 30, 2009 7:24 pm

OMG they took your baby?? :shock: :shock: :shock: See I thought they needed permission to even touch them. At DD's birth they never touched her, they had the 4 of us in the bed (2 together) no one made a pep even with her funky breathing (which was gone when she snuggled in bed and nursed (and looking back I totally get it, that is just her, damn I'm crying, babies huh)

Our HV has been once, they didnt say anything, the MW just said when she came out, you already know this but don't sleep on the sofa etc, rolling her eyes as she knew we knew how to do it,

Isn't amazing how they settle in the bed?

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler