78%

Total votes : 49
My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Did/do you co-sleep?

Postby Kirstyh » Sat May 30, 2009 11:47 pm

See I can't imagine any of our 3 ever settling in the bed with us when they were young!! :giggle: Gracie would never sleep if she was in the bed with us, she won't even nap when we ae out and about, she has to be in her bed. While were were out today she napped for 20 mins after being awake from 7:30am - 4:30pm!!!! Now though Anna and Kieran love to get the chance to snuggle up to sleep with me, I love it cos they fiddle with my hair, the only problem is we struggles to lift and carry them to their own beds :giggle:

My avatar
emmab
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emmab » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:20 pm

I voted no but if co sleeping means in the same room then we had both ours in a moses basket until 8/10 weeks old, when :bf: I sometimes dropped off with them but not for long. Ethan used to come into bed with me about 5/6 am when he was a baby as dh worked really early & used to distirb him when he got up.

I was too worried that we would roll over onto the baby if they slept with both of us & or they would overheat :-?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Taneli was a child who really wanted his own space!!!! rarely fell asleep in arms even when teeny tiny, let alone in bed with me! he was a very alert and easily distracted child, and would only sleep (and then slept well) in his own cot. i even moved him into his big cot in his own room at about 8 weeks.

Boo never slept nights in our bed, but every morning (and still sometimes now in the mornings) or when ill etc etc its the only place he wants to be.

in fact in israel he was sharing a room with taneli and my 11 year old nephew who said that early in the morning Boo would climb into his bed for a cuddle and to sing songs!!!! :hohoho:

i would ahve been too nervous to sleep with a tiny one in bed with me

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Shevi wrote:i would ahve been too nervous to sleep with a tiny one in bed with me

aww really? can always try it this time :D

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 am

I voted no, but lo sleeps in our room still - just until her room is finished then she'll be in there. Never fancied it, and dont with any other babies we have. Don't feel like we're missing out as she comes into bed first thing for cuddles, then downstairs for breakfast. Lo likes her space and is a restless sleeper as it is, so this just wouldn't work for us. Each to their own, but definately not for us :)

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:30 am

PoshMama wrote:
Shevi wrote:i would ahve been too nervous to sleep with a tiny one in bed with me

aww really? can always try it this time :D

:D not sure i get any sleep, be too nervous about rolling on it!!! or it learning to roll quickly (taneli rolled at 6 weeks) and falling off. both me and david move around loads in our sleep

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:41 pm

For the benefits of others reading this thread, there has been tons of research recently into the safety and it's been proved that done properly it's 100% safe! :wink:

Sometimes we just have to trust ourselves. Only western countries have cots and such and places like Japan only just now use cots sometimes and now they have SIDS, before then they didn't!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:59 pm

I do sometimes, Isobella mostly sleeps better through the night in her own cot but she settles down better in our bed ifyswim. She always comes into our bed in the morning for first feed then snuggles with dad :D If she is unsettled for some reason then she will come in with us

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:43 pm

PoshMama wrote:For the benefits of others reading this thread, there has been tons of research recently into the safety and it's been proved that done properly it's 100% safe! :wink:

When done safely...

Unfortunately it is not 100% safe as some sad stories in the papers recently have shown... Hence the difference this time around compared to 3yrs ago when I had Isabelle in my HV's warnings and assertions that it's not safe :roll:...

If you are over-tired, have taken any medication which makes you sleep soundly, have had alcohol, drugs or smoke it is not safe to co-sleep...

Also make sure pillows are away from baby's head as wriggly babies that get their heads under the duvet or pillows are not safe babies...

Also be aware that memory foam mattresses are a risk as they mould to your shape and if baby rolls onto his/her front it could obscure the airways...

When it's done properly though it's safer than cot sleeping :)

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler