(forgot that bit :oops: :oops: )

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Croup

Postby babygrowbelly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks for all your advice :hug:

So far so good, he didn't wake as much last night and this morning woke up without snot covering his face :giggle: and he has eaten his porridge so fingers crossed he is starting to feel better. Going to get hubby to take him out today as my chest is now bad.

I am needing to measure Caleb for some longies so hopefully he will let us do that today without any struggle :giggle:

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 am

My dd2 is the only one of my 4 to have had croup.

She has had it twice - 1st time she was about 2y second time about 4y

Again started out as a cold then all of a sudden continuos coughing and not being able to breathe. It sounds like we were quite lucky (or i was not worried enough :-? :shock: ) as i never contacted anyone about it, just put her in the bathroom full of steam for a few hours until her breathing calmed down.

The not being able to breathe cleared within a day, the cough lasted about a week, and even now (she's nearly 11) when she gets a cough - it is still that croupy sounding cough :-?

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:30 am

Evie had it the other week and was really poorly, we called an abulance in the night and she was taken to A&E. It can be very scary, especially when they are struggling to breathe, which Evie was, but everyone has given lots of fab advice. Hope caleb doesn't have it too bad and is on the road to recovery. It's a great excuse for lots of mummy cuddles. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 pm

:hug: :hug:
Kieran has had it once and was admitted to hospital, Anna still gets it even now at 7, bu :hug: t she usually is ok by the afternoon. WE know how to manage it so we don't bother with doctors etc. x

My avatar
lloydlf
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lloydlf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 pm

I think the one of the problems with croup is that its such a variable illness and affects every child differently. It can range from a fairly mild barking cough which whilst troublesome and annoying isn't something that Drs can treat to a serious and life-threatening illness that comes on suddenly and needs urgent and immediate treatment. Sadly Meredith's croup has always been towards the severe end of the illness and so its not really of 'knowing how to manage it' but rather a if she doesn't get steroids soon she's going to suffocate.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Anna's used to be pretty severe but has gotten better as she has got older but not too bad that she needed steroids, Kieran needed steroids in hospital just the once and has never had it since! Gracie has been given steroids on several occasions :roll: even though I said it wasn't croup and yep they made no difference at all.
It can vary very greatly. x

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler