hf1

no cry sleep solution some success ;)

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: no cry sleep solution

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:54 am

No advice on no cry sleep solution as I have never read it but :hug: and I hope she starts sleeping better for you soon xx

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 pm

I've tried a few things, we started putting our daughter upstairs in the evening with the monitor, she was crying a lot and being in the dark settled her, in the end this turned into a bedtime routine and even though she is only 2 months it really works and has done since she it was started at about a month, she feeds then goes to sleep for 4 sometimes 5 hours and this is with the breastfeeding, ( 5 hours was when i didnt come up to bed till late, i think coming to bed disturbs her sleep and she will wake sooner), after this when we come up to bed, feeding is every 2 hours sometimes 3, sometimes 3 and a half if im lucky, this goes on all night from then, i couldnt work it out and i still cant but we tried putting her in her nursery a few nights (i know its not recommended but i was going mad) i dont think there was much difference and as i was sure it was the smell of my milk waking her i thought this would work, i still dont know why she sleeps that long and the rest of the night she doesnt but she is only 2 months old, maybe you could try this routine, i've also found that when she is away from me (the husband took her for a long walk and around his sisters) she didnt need to feed for the whole time and wouldnt feed at all until she came home and suddenly was hungry again, she defenetly feeds less when im not around and iv heard from somewhere that they hold off until they are back with you and shovel it down lol.
i dont know if any of this can help you but its interesting, its difficult when they feed alllllll the time but i think it defenitly is to do with the smelling of milk, my husband settles her when she is full up and grizzly but she goes mad if he holds her when she is hungry, these babys arent the simple beings i once thought :lol:
we've stopped putting her in the nursery now though, i dont think its worth going against the advise now with such little difference and its more difficult getting up to get her for a feed.
try a few different things and see what works for you, often books give good advise but it wont work for everyone

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:25 pm

I really didnt mind doing this when she was newborn at all because of course they need to feed frequently. Izzy :bf: every 1-2 hours including overnight newborn as this was her only source of nutrition. But she is one now! and eats 3 big meals a day and snacks, she has around 4 :bf: in the day but she still wants to BF all through the night.

I think the main problem is that she SCREAMS until i BF her every time she wakes and is a nightmare to settle at night :( Its just getting too much now Im so tired and worn out. Im ploughing through the book but am just a bit baffled by it all
:-? Some of the stuff i already do but with not much sucess. I am so disheartened :(

Thanks for all the tips guys keep them coming, I am especially interested in hearing no cry sleep solution sucess stories :D

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:30 pm

:hug: The one thing I have heard about the no cry sleep solution is that it definitely isn't a quick hit - it is a slow and gentle process that can take months. If you are getting desperate would you consider another approach such as the baby whisperer? I have used a few of her techniques and found that they are generally fairly effective without being harsh xx

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Silly question but is she thirsty?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Silly question but is she thirsty?

my instinct says no, but who knows? She has water with meals and then has frequent BF so I think not It feels to me like this .....She doesnt know how to self settle and needs BF for comfort/calm/sleep.

She has always fed to sleep (i dont regret this as i think its a lovely way to fall asleep for little babies).... but its casuing a problem now. She fusses when becoming tired and sometimes pulls off and arches /wriggles as if to turn on her front. Then she gets upset as she isnt asleep. Its like she wants to be fed to sleep but almost like it doesnt work :-? so she cries until I boob her again...... this goes on a few times until she is so shattered she eventually falls asleep feeding.

Ok then as soon as she wakes up its like mum! where are you where has the boob gone (this is regardless of her being in a cot, in my bed without me, in my bed with me.) she then screams until boob again. At the mo she is in our bed she wakes every 1-2 hours

I tried pick up put down lots of times and felt awful because she gets really really upset when i put her down, so i pick her up she calms down, put her down she gets even more upset, i just feel like im being mean and almost traumatising her :( I know it sounds dramatic but it just does. Its not quite as bad if i lie down next to her but then she just wants boob.

If she is calm enough ssshhh pat works but not always and its usually if she is semi asleep. Rob calming her is much better and i have taken to sleeping on the couch so he can do some stuff, she wakes less if im not there due to the milk not being right there i think.

Izzy really hates it when i break the latch it makes her really upset and panics and again screams til she gets boob back!

iM GOING to keep reading in hope that my brain will unfrazzle somehow

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:03 pm

I really feel for you and hope you find a solution :( My Oh can also generally settle Tyler a million times quicker than me and I would guess that is because Tyler is very aware that boob simply isn't an option from daddy so doesn't bother fighting whereas my attempts to put him to bed sometime result in both Tyler and I in tears :( Would Rob be willing to take over nights completely for a bit to break some of the feeding/sleeping connections? I know this is difficult when dads still have to go to work though.

Pick up put down has that effect on Tyler now too whereas it worked pretty well when he was little and I managed to stop feeding him at night when he was about 4 months so since then he has been happy to have a drink of water from a sippy cup when he wakes up instead. I'm racking my brains for what works for us but to be honest nothing is consistent, sometimes shushing, sometimes a hand on his back and other times he just goes to bed and goes to sleep.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

its all trial and error eh! thing is rob works really really long shifts but he has offered to take 2 days of this week to help :D weds and thurs. Im going to ask if he can come home early mon and tus too then hopefully we can get cracking on some kind of sleep :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:15 pm

Firstly :hug: :hug: , sleep deprivation is the pits!

Sorry if you've already said this but is Izzy's cot in your room or her own room? As Rob doesn't produce milk and can therefore settle her more quickly would he be prepared to take over the night time duties for a week? It'd mean disturbed nights for him but presumably he has that anyway. So that Izzy sleeps in her cot and every time she wakes it's Rob who goes in to settle her, but not bringing her in to bed with you? It'd mean no night feeds though, and I don't know if you want to cut them out completely. As you say, she's getting plenty of food and bf during the day, but it depends if you're happy to lose night feeds altogether. I just think that it would avoid any confusion, and that hopefully after a few nights she'd learn that night is for sleeping.

As for No Cry Sleep Solution, I bought it when I was pretty desperate due to Connor's poor sleeping, but once I read that I needed to start off by keeping a three week sleep diary I gave up on it as I wanted a quick fix. In the end it was a mixed up version of controlled crying that worked :oops: I settled him, left the room and counted to 100, then went back into resettle if he was upset. CC says to increase to 5 mins, then 10, 15 etc, but I could just about stretch to about 2 mins. I know you don't want to go down that route, but it did work very quickly. With Finn I made a point of not feeding him to sleep whenever possible (not always possible!) so he got used to drifting off on his own when he was milk-drunk.

Also, with Connor I started off with getting naps sorted as it was easier to have the struggle during the day rather than at 3am. The plan being he'd learn to self-settle when I wasn't too exhausted and would then be able to do it at night, which did work to a certain extent. Not completely, but it's definitely easier IMO to sort out the daytime sleep and then night times follow. Does Izzy have a nap routine? What happens if you bf but then put her down for a nap while she's still awake? Again sorry if you've already said!

ETA just read your OH works shifts so him doing night time duties for a week may not work. But I forgot to say that with both Connor and Finn once they moved into their own rooms too I moved in with them, sleeping on a matress on the floor, so that when they woke they weren't completely alone, having been used to being next to me and dh. Before bf I always tried to ssshhh them back to sleep, while I was lying on the floor with a hand through the bars of the cot. It reduced the number of night feeds, and I guess if Rob were able to do the same with Izzy for a few nights it'd be the same.

Hope you find a solution soon :hug:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler