hf1

Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

Postby Cyrillia » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Hey All,

Rory's screaming sessions are getting worse, and we are now sure that it's simply because he wants to be held and sucking something - we say that as if I'm holding him and he's on the boob he's fine, if he's not he's screaming. DH cannot pacify at all, not even for an instant no matter what he does - which of course is very upsetting for him.

The thing is I'm incredibly sore nipple wise and after last weeks cracked and bleeding nipples which resulted in mastitis I just can't let him comfort nurse all day long - not to mention poor Ethan needing at least some attention! IHV's tend to be a bit miffy if you don't feed your toddlers, although I don't know why... ;) :giggle:

Anyhoo, tonight when he's feeding I've waited until all I can feel is suckling and no swallowing and/or he's falling asleep and I've broken the latch - cue screaming like it's going out of fashion. I've tried waiting and waiting to see if he gets into a deep enough sleep that he'll break the latch of his own accord, and he doesn't - it stays firmly clamped between his gums. The thing is I'm really worried about it - his nappy this evening was dry-ish and he's not poo'd today. Plus I'm worried that mys supply is low and that doing this will decrease it further. When I told the lactation consultant that I was putting Rory to the breast while I relactated whenever I saw the chance, which was usually when he'd wanted comfort, she said there was no point as when he's comfort suckling he's not emptying the breast so not stimulating supply anyway, but I thought all suckling stimulated supply?

Also, he seems to go from active feeding really fast - this evening he went from feeding on the left actively to comfort suckling within about ten minutes! I switched sides then and he did the same again - surely he couldn't empty both breasts in 20 minutes at 4 weeks old? This makes me worried about my supply too, although towards the end of the second breast he was falling asleep, which I'm guesing he wouldn't do if he was hungry.

The next thing is the screaming. This evening I broke the latch after he'd fed and was comfort suckling and he screamed solidly for almost thirty minutes. I was talking to him and holding him the entire time, but I hated it. Then after this last feed (the one where he emptied both in 20 minutes) I broke the latch when he'd fallen asleep, moved him carefully to the sofa, and when I put him down he screamed solidly for another 20 minutes! I sat with my hand on his chest going 'Shhhh, shhhh' the whole time, but again it was awful!

What can I do?! I'm so sorry for the rambling post. I'm just so worried that I'm doing something wrong. :(

Sarah
x

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

Postby northernruth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:14 pm

I know I will get slapped silly for this, but some babies are sucky babies and he might take to a dummy. Martha had one from four weeks old and it really comforted her, we weaned her off it at 7 months (should have done it sooner, apparently they can drop it easily enough at four months)

It really, really helped us at a time when nothing would comfort her in the middle of the night. Two weeks later she was sleeping through

:hug: :hug: :hug: and well done on the relactation, I can't offer any knowledge or advice on that front tho

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Don't want to read and run but constant screaming unless feeding or being held sounds like the one thing I'm always posting about - reflux... Sorry... All the more likely with preemies too :?

I'd be loathe to suggest this if you're having latch issues but have you tried a dummy or even a finger for him to suckle on?

There's probably a LOT of seperation anxiety going on and oh my I can see how hard this is for you - you actually sound like you are dealing with it ok but posting and reality are different I know - it sends shudders down my spine :hug:

They do trickle feed when they're just suckling but it isn't good for supply or so I've heard...

Will try post more helpfully later but for now some :hug:

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 pm

:hug: I would also suggest a dummy just for the short term to give your nipples a chance to heal - lansinoh worked well for me and also putting breast milk on them and allowing them to air dry is meant to be pretty effective too.

Cyrillia wrote:I switched sides then and he did the same again - surely he couldn't empty both breasts in 20 minutes at 4 weeks old? This makes me worried about my supply too, although towards the end of the second breast he was falling asleep, which I'm guesing he wouldn't do if he was hungry.

Tyler has always been a speed feeder from newborn so it is possible, he has never fed for more than 5-10 minutes per side.

No other advice I'm afraid hun other than to consider that it may be colic or reflux as Steff suggested. Also keep an eye on the nappies, if you have another dry one I would be tempted to give the doctor a call or nhs direct, I ouldn't worry about him pooing too much but he needs to be weeing. Is his soft spot on his head sunked at all? Do you know how to check for dehydration in babies?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:30 pm

if he wants to suck and you don't want it to be you maybe try a dummy ? I used one for the first 3 months as we needed one to go longer between feeds to take a decent feed and also so daddy could hold her etc as she would also cry unless she was on me and sucking, she has weaned of it fine tho,
I used to think my supply was low sometimes as I couldn't feel it iykwim, but there was def no problem as she was gaining fine, My LO did not wee when she was asleep so it could be that if there was no wet nappy at last change they don't always poo daily he may well make up for it tomorow! they do get quite quick at learning to drain breasts tho, I always used to worry in the first few months whether things were gong right (I still do) I went to a breastfeeding support group and soon realised everyone does it differently whats right for you is wrong for someone else,
Hope you are feeling ok, try not to worry hope things go well for you,

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Ok a few things come to mind.if your supply is low then rory will want to suck to stimulate supply.if he's not getting enough milk due to low supply then he's more likely to scream due to hunger.nathan was a screamer until we got my low supply sorted.we thought initially it might have been reflux but it settled once my supply had increased.
Although reflux is also a possibility.
Comfort sucking is very common and nathan still does it now.
Nathan would feed for about 5 mins then fall asleep and be hungry and awake screaming half an hour later.
You could try switch feeding,we would switch sides 4 or 5 times a feed and he seemed to feed for longer,breast compression also helped.not sure if they'll help you but might be worth a try?

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 pm

You've had some fab advice already. Just wanted to say you can actally get tiny dummies suitable for preemies, I think I saw them in Boots. I wish I'd seen them when Kacie was first born as she used to gag on the 0-3 month ones. Kacie is a very sucky baby still :babygirl: and I do feel on occasion it would be a good idea to get the Lanisoh out, but never think about it twice :roll:
Whilst it might not be helpful with you latch and supply problems :-? you could maybe try a finger as a PP suggested, Kacie would suck DH's finger before or after a feed when she still wanted to suck. I was under the impression that all sucking helped increase supply, at least that's what I read in certain things when Kacie was a newborn.
Lots of :hug: :hug: :hug: I can only imagine how hard it is to cope with a screaming baby so much.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 pm

northernruth wrote:I know I will get slapped silly for this, but some babies are sucky babies and he might take to a dummy.

I was going to suggest a dummy too if he is sucking for comfort. I never wanted to give Nathan one but he was wanting a bottle for comfort probably because he had....................................

Velvetsteph wrote:Don't want to read and run but constant screaming unless feeding or being held sounds like the one thing I'm always posting about - reflux... Sorry... All the more likely with preemies too :?

.............reflux. He constantly screamed unless he was held or had a dummy. Oh or he was in his car seat or his baby swing seat thingy. That was a godsend I can tell you :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:13 pm

yes 2nd babyswing! couldn't put Honey down till we got one of those fab!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler