hf1

Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

Postby lazylexis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
Cyrillia wrote:Hmm, his poos are mustard colour and runny - I had wondered about whether he was having all foremilk and not enough hindmilk, but from what you're saying he does fall into a slower suck-swallow routine so I'm not sure. What should I look for to make sure he's having enough hindmilk? He normally gulps at the beginning, but then settles into a kind of suck-suck-swallow-pause to breath routine. When he comfort suckles it's a lot less than that - it's a very shallow suck-suck-suck-suck-suck-suck-suck... with no swallow to infinity! :D

Sarah

That's perfect colour/consistency so the balance is fine - I read an article recently which rubbished the whole fore/hind milk thing anyway :roll:

Infant Gaviscon does nothing for the acid (and so nothing for the pain) - it's designed to kinda coat the oesophagus but it's not very good and causes constipation...
Grace didn't have one time of day she was worse particularly...

:shock: at the sugar-water dummy :shock:

Grace has dummies as did Isabelle though but they weren't introduced in scbu for Isabelle...

Sucrose in studies has been shown to be an effective form of pain relief for babies so that is why it is used for procedures like putting a cannula/drip in.better that than give nothing which is what they do in lots of places.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm

lazylexis wrote:Sucrose in studies has been shown to be an effective form of pain relief for babies so that is why it is used for procedures like putting a cannula/drip in.better that than give nothing which is what they do in lots of places.

That's interesting I didn't know that - I wonder if that's why our cammomila (lactose free version so basically sugar) helps Grace...

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler