hf1

Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Suggestions for newborn needed - BF'ing, Crying and Sleep!

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Dummy def sounds like it could be a good thing to try, Gracie is the first of our 3 to have one but it worked great for her. xx

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 am

It sounds like he might be gearing up to a growth spurt. Lots of skin to skin, making sure position is right and a sling/co-sleeping will help.

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mock » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:13 am

I was going to suggest a growth spurt as well.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:35 am

I would wonder that a dummy might not work against your supply at the moment? If you believe that your supply might not yet be matching his needs then the need for constant sucking will be trying to trigger an increase in milk.

I agree that some babies deffo need to such a lot more than others and dummies can be great with some babies but I'd probably speak to someone about a dummy regarding relactation just to check it wont effect your supply and incase you don't miss any feeding cues by thinking it's just a comfort suck.

But as someone else mentioned growth spurts also trigger constant feeding and I used to feel like a proper dairy cow when Oz would be attached pretty much all day long and nothing else would satisfy him.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. :hug:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks for your replies.

I really hope it's not reflux - we were given Gaviscon but I don't think it was helping the constipation side of things. Is there a time of day when the reflux would be particularly bad? I could limit the doses to help prevent the constipation if there is.

On the dummy issue, he did have one when he was in the ITU and I think this coul dbe what's basically at the root on his need to suck all the time. Everytime they did anything painful to him they would dip a dummy in sugar water and put it in his mouth, so I'm sure there's probably a good chance he has a stronger association with sucking as a form of comfort than most babies as a result. I allowed the dummy there as he was too ill to come out of the incubator, so couldn't be held to be comforted and my attitude was that if that was the only way to comfort him then so be it - he was ill and in pain, the poor thing.

I'm popping a dummy in this morning, but I waited until he emptied the first breast and then offered the other. He had more or less emptied that too when he started to fall asleep and started comfort sucking (no swallowing at all), so I left him for a minute or two just to make sure he wasn't going to wake back up and start drinking again and slipped him off. He's been a lot better with this approach this AM. I know it's not the best thing to do, but I asked DH to give the night feeds of EBM last night too as I desperately needed a rest, and I feel a lot better today. :)

My only problem is npw how to tell when he's rooting for food or rooting for comfort, so what I thought was that when he comes off after a good feed, if he's still awake and rooting after an hour to an hour and a half later, I'll offer more boob. He came off after his feed this AM at half eight, and I was planning to offer again at ten unless he became really unsettled (dummy wouldn't settle him) or was asleep, and he's just fallen asleep now at quarter to ten. I'll offer it now as soon as he wakes up. Does that sound like a good plan?

Also, just wondering if any of you have found particular ones better while BF'ing? Or is it simply a case of whichever one your LO likes? I know they're not the best from an orthodontic point of view, but Ethan likes the cherry style and I thought that they might be better as they're more substantial in the mouth rather than long and slim like the other style. Any thoughts?

:hug:

Sarah
x

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby holmes2974 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am

I think you're doing all the right things, and your plan re the feeds sounds good to me. I also agree wit all the posts re dummy and reflux. Might also be colic? We used infacol with DD2 who sounded to be doing excatly the same things as your LO, and that possibly made some difference although we eneded up giving it at the maximum recommended dose.
Baby massage helped my DD1 - particularly the 'waterwheel' I think. We also propped up the head end of the Moses basket ((being flat might make the reflux worse, which might account for the crying as soon as they're laid down) - we rolled up a towel and put it under the mattress of the basket.
My DD2 is now 13 weeks and seemed to turn a corner around 10 weeks - not much comfort to you I know when your LO is only 4 weeks, but just to let you know that it will get better.
:hug:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 am

How are his poos? I wonder that maybe he isn't getting enough of the hindmilk and too much foremilk can cause them belly aches which they confuse for hunger pains and want to feed again.

Have you tried reattaching him to the same boob after he comes off? Their sucking will change as the milk changes as they need to suck more for the hindmilk so whereas when you have a let down it can be suck swallow with hindmilk it can be more like suck suck suck suck swallow.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Hmm, his poos are mustard colour and runny - I had wondered about whether he was having all foremilk and not enough hindmilk, but from what you're saying he does fall into a slower suck-swallow routine so I'm not sure. What should I look for to make sure he's having enough hindmilk? He normally gulps at the beginning, but then settles into a kind of suck-suck-swallow-pause to breath routine. When he comfort suckles it's a lot less than that - it's a very shallow suck-suck-suck-suck-suck-suck-suck... with no swallow to infinity! :D

Sarah

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Cyrillia wrote:Hmm, his poos are mustard colour and runny - I had wondered about whether he was having all foremilk and not enough hindmilk, but from what you're saying he does fall into a slower suck-swallow routine so I'm not sure. What should I look for to make sure he's having enough hindmilk? He normally gulps at the beginning, but then settles into a kind of suck-suck-swallow-pause to breath routine. When he comfort suckles it's a lot less than that - it's a very shallow suck-suck-suck-suck-suck-suck-suck... with no swallow to infinity! :D

Sarah

That's perfect colour/consistency so the balance is fine - I read an article recently which rubbished the whole fore/hind milk thing anyway :roll:

Infant Gaviscon does nothing for the acid (and so nothing for the pain) - it's designed to kinda coat the oesophagus but it's not very good and causes constipation...
Grace didn't have one time of day she was worse particularly...

:shock: at the sugar-water dummy :shock:

Grace has dummies as did Isabelle though but they weren't introduced in scbu for Isabelle...

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler