hf1

The move to a big bed...

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

The move to a big bed...

Postby Frances » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:40 pm

We're thinking about taking the sides off Jasmine's cot bed in the next couple of months, but I'm concerned re. her safety. We live in a tall house with steep stairs up to the attics and down to the ground floor directly outside Jasmine's room. We could fit two stairgates but I'm concerned that she often tries to climb over stairgates, so don't want her tackling them on her own in the night. The obvious answer is to lock her in her room, but I'm a little bit :-? about this, even though it's not that different to keeping her constrained in her cotbed. We have a webcam, so will continue to keep an eye on her overnight.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on, and experiences re, this.

Thanks in advance

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: The move to a big bed...

Postby northernruth » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:50 pm

We have a stairgate on Martha's room as the top of our stairs aren't the right shape for one. TBH it's more to keep the cat out than Martha in, and since she has gone in her own bed she has never once got out of it on her own. She wouldn't dream of climbing over a stairgate!

I'd shut her in - as long as your door is open you will hear her

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks Ruth - Jasmine is intent on getting over the lower stairgate, and it doesn't keep the cats out as they can jump over it! I think we will shut her in - not sure why we're so hesitant, but she will be safest that way.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Izzy is on her 3rd night in cot bed and so far hasnt even climbed out she just sits up and shouts me. I am happy with the monitor on really. Can Jasmine open the door? If not i would just babyproof her room and close the door

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Frances wrote:Thanks Ruth - Jasmine is intent on getting over the lower stairgate, and it doesn't keep the cats out as they can jump over it! I think we will shut her in - not sure why we're so hesitant, but she will be safest that way.

We sleep with our door shut and Martha's open but we've done it the other way round when we were trying to keep the cat out of there and in with us

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:31 pm

When the boys went into a bed we put a stairgate on the bedroom door, rather than on the stairs - to keep them in without having to keep the door shut. We were all happier that way. I'm thinking about putting the stairgate up on Lily's room already so she can play in safety in there while I'm pottering upstairs - she hates having the door shut.

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Steph » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Lexi went into a bed last month. We are the same as in stairs upstairs and down outside of her bedroom but I took down the gates months ago as she can go safely up and downstairs. Since she went in her big bed(it's an extendable one from ikea, so pretty low) she doesn't get up. She does come in to see us when she wakes in the morning sometimes but not often, and she has never got up in the night.
Tonight when she went to bed though Connor was in the sitting room with me and Toby upstairs. I had on themoniter and never heard a thing, when Connor left the room he said Mammy Lexi got up. Found her upstairs playing with Toby, little monkey :hohoho:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks all!

How does the stairgate on the bedroom door work - can you fit in on and still shut the door when you need to??

Although Jasmine can't yet open her bedroom door, I don't want to take the risk - she's adventurous and the stairs are very steep (and the attic ones have a sharp turn where the steps go very narrow) and she sometimes slips climbing up them, and she can't go down stairs on her own yet, so we can't risk her getting to them while we're in bed.

:giggle: at Lexi!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 pm

We have dog gates instead of normal child stair gates and they are a good few inches higher than the normal stair gates - wouldn't be able to get over it easily so doubt Jasmine would manage it. Might be worth it to keep your mind at ease xx

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler