hf1

2 year old suddenly terrified of the bath?

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

2 year old suddenly terrified of the bath?

Postby ericaj1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Help!

For some reason Jack has come over absolutely terrified of the bath. Is it normal at aged 2, I remember my oldest son (now 18 ) hating having his hair washed but Jack point blank won't get in the bath. Jess thinks he's scared of the shower but we've had that in for months now (unless someone has turned it on while they are bathing him but no-one is admitting to that). Has anyone else been through this and what can I do? we managed to get him in for long enough to wash his hair and splash his legs but he sounded like he was being murdered! Any tips very welcome.
Last edited by ericaj1 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Are you or someone else able to get in and then he be brought in, just so he can see that its safe and mummy/daddy are enjoying it. I think its fairly normal around that age to get phobias, hannah developed one of the toilet after being PT for a good 6 or so months and it was after some little S%$T at daycare said there was spiders behind the toilet.

Also I know that you can get an Elmo that goes in the bath and it has washable crayon things that they can draw on the bath with (coloured soap I think) or letting him choose some other bath toys maybe might entice him.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Not sure what to suggest but Louis was always fab at lying back to have his hair washed and now screams so could well be an age thing!

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:39 pm

Harry went through a phase of being terrified when he was about 18mths, but strangely he didn't mind a shower.

I don't think we did anything particular to stop it (well I mean nothing worked) and suddenly he was fine again.

Hopefully it will be a short-lived thing, like everyone else has said try to make it as fun as possible.

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi girls,

This is the puzzle, he has lots of fab bath toys, we have tried bubble baths too which he loves and he won't even get in with any of us anymore. He usually baths with some member of the family 80% of the time, apart from DS1 :lol:. Guess it is just one of those stages that will pass eventually, I shall just have to keep strip washing him for now :roll:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Lucaswent through a similar thing not too long ago! he would only get in (after a l ot of persuading might i add :roll: ) so long as it didn;t come any deeper than his ankles, no bubbles and he didn;t have his haor washed for around 3 weeks at one point :oops: :oops: it just wasn;t worth the screaming in my opinion!

He's fine now though, it didn't last long

jan x

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:45 pm

Evie doesn't so much mind the bath but doesn't really like her hair being washed. Think it's a phase and hoping she soon goes back to happily having it washed!! :D

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:56 pm

Amy went through a phase of screaming at bath time at about 18 months, don't know what caused it but it didn't last very long, thankfully. As others have said we just kept baththime as quick as possible and tried to make it lots of fun.

Louise

My avatar
mummymel
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mummymel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:21 am

yep Ellie went through that too. as as been said we just tried to make it fun and didn't keep her in it too long. she grew out of it within a few months.

Alice on the other hand hated baths when she was younger but loves them now. I think it helps that she goes in it with her sister though.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler